Local Government Ombudsman.... sham

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
I've been in contact with the local government ombudsman about how our 'local authority's' 'adult care services' have been over the years in how they've treated not just my Mother with very serious issues, but me. Took ages to put together a complaint to them, then they claim they can only investigate up to a year, when it took that long to exhaust the complaints proceedure locally.

I've had to put in a complaint about how my complaint was handled, with their demanding deadlines. When it was ok for them to take time off over Christmas, but not for me in needing to pace myself; which I shouldn't have to ask for them to be considerate for seeing I don't get paid for be stressed and anxious about having to juggle a myriad of things for my Mother, not to mention my own life/health.

Now without giving me a chance to even fill in their complaints form, they have somehow produced a response to the said 'complaint' when I've not even submitted one. Anyone else had similar?

Is there going to be a review of the 'local govermment ombudsman? As from what I gather they by law are protected to investigate complaints up to a year is totally unrealistic, unethical and a waste of government's resources.

The Local Goverment Ombudsman's logo is: Listen - Understand - Communicate – Learn. One massive joke! They should get paid to be strung up!!
It sounds as though you've made two complaints to the LGO (Local Govt Ombudsman office) :
(1) the original complaint against the LA
(2) a complaint about the LGO

Is that correct? Which one has the LGO responded to?

The LGO website shows these rules for making a complaint:
Key steps to making a complaint:
1. First complain to the organisation involved
  • First complain to the organisation involved to give them a chance to put things right
  • You should go through all stages of their complaints procedure
2. Complain to us
  • If your problem has not been put right
  • If you have not had a response within a reasonable time. This should usually be within 12 weeks but may be longer for social care complaints that follow a statutory process

3. Be aware there are some things we cannot look at
In most cases, you will need to have:
  • complained to us within 12 months of becoming aware of the matter
  • been directly affected by the matter - we call this 'personal injustice'
Note the "most" in section 3. That's important. The importance is that they can't just turn your complaint down for being out of time if you've had to raise it more than 12 months later because that's how long it took to get through stage 1 in the LGO's list. If they've tried to reject it on those grounds, I suggest you point out the reason for the delay and ask them to reconsider.

All complaints etc have deadlines. Over the course of my working life I've drawn up guidelines like those above and had to set deadlines for complaints - that's to prevent people making a complaint years after the event, with no reasonable excuse for any delay. It's usually possible to renegotiate a deadline if one has a reasonable excuse. I find the best approach is to ring the organisation to explain, get someone's name, and then follow it up with an email (not a contact form on their website as you won't have a copy of that), in which you mention the phone call, who it was with, when it took place and what was agreed.

If you haven't submitted a complaint at all, then they can't make a decision on one. Is their decision about something else?

You can only appeal about any Ombudsman decisions (not just this one, but any one) by taking the matter to the High Court. This is absolutely normal legal process, and it also applies to tribunals and some other "first stage" legal organisations. The High Court is the second stage - the first legal appeal.

The alternative is to ask for a review of the decision. This can only take place if they have messed up the process of making a decision. So, if they really have made a decision without a complaint, that's messing up the process. This page gives information on a review:
http://www.lgo.org.uk/information-centr ... -decisions

I spent a whole career (on and off) dealing with tribunals and other courts, so I understand the procedure. It's tough when you have no experience of this sort of stuff. Happy to help, if I can. :)
You state you're 'happy to help if you can', sounds very much like you take the side of flawed systems. I've been emailing the person dealing with the complaint, who has sent me round in circles fobbing me off with they can only investigate 'up to a year'.. 'Systems' are only designed to mess with decent people is what I have experienced these past 5 years. Which has made me more and more ill. Beyond a joke!