[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
letting her loose on the road..... - Page 2 - Carers UK Forum

letting her loose on the road.....

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
Actually, jessie, your first piece of advice is the correct one. No-one has the absolute right to drive and she dosnt have the right to make the decision whether she is OK to drive or not - its the DVLA that makes that decision. You can report someone who you think should not be driving (there is a way to do this - go to their webpage) and they will indeed contact GPs etc to make their decision.

This is a question of law and doesnt come under the act which allows you to make unwise decisions, so long as you have mental capacity.
Actually, jessie, your first piece of advice is the correct one. No-one has the absolute right to drive and she dosnt have the right to make the decision whether she is OK to drive or not - its the DVLA that makes that decision. You can report someone who you think should not be driving (there is a way to do this - go to their webpage) and they will indeed contact GPs etc to make their decision.

This is a question of law and doesnt come under the act which allows you to make unwise decisions, so long as you have mental capacity.
Sorry if I've upset you but if she has legal mental capacity then she has the legal right to drive and to make the decision as to whether or not to drive, a decision which (sadly) is not yours.

If your opinion is that she is an unsafe driver then this is your opinion but she has the legal right to do whatever she wants.
Blind people have mental capacity, but they are not allowed to drive, neither are people who have fits, and a lot of other people with other conditions too. It's not a question of mental capacity, but a question of ability to drive. That is why at the age of 70, I believe, you have to get a doctor's letter of fitness to drive.
Jessie, dont worry you havnt upset me, but just because you have legal capacity doesnt mean you can do anything. You are not allowed to do things that are against the law and fitness to drive is a question of the law. As bb says, there are conditions that make it illegal to drive (even if you have mental capacity) and DVLA are the ones who issue driving licences and they decide whether or not you are fit to drive - you can appeal, but their decision is final.
BTW It is actually illegal to withhold information from DVLA and is punishable with a fine
As with many areas, rights always come with responsibilities. As a driver you have a responsibility to other road users. Having recently been in an RTA, I know happened when another driver didn't take his responsibilities seriously. It was by luck that I wasn't seriously injured or killed.
If there changes to your health that may effect your driving, you must report them to DVLA. The consequences of not doing so can be far more serious than the inconvenience of having to take buses and taxis. I think you need to push this message home too.

https://www.gov.uk/driving-medical-conditions
my husband is registered blind and handed in his driving licence.Type 1 Diabetes is another condition where you have mental capacity but the licence is reviewed three yearly to ensure your fitness to drive,and if you have hypos regularly you may be stopped anyway.
All drivers have a responsibility to use their mode of transport responsibly. In Pembrokeshire this week there have been two major crashes with one fatality and two critically injured.In the next county there has also been a fatality this week.All crashes have been in the daytime.
I also think other people have to take responsibility sometimes. I still go cold when I think of the drive I took back from A and E after the death of my younger son. I don't know how I drove, I do not remember the journey and cannot think I was safe to drive at all. I wasn't thinking.Hospital staff did not ask whether there was anyone we could call to take us home.Perhaps they should have.I didn't drive for a while after that, I was aware that I would not be able to concentrate.I still do not go on motorways,and do not drive far.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/gr ... law-158772

This is what happened in my town a few years ago, not saying the same would happen if your mum drove but if you think she's not safe then better her not driving than potentially causing an accident.
I too am suffering this same issue. My grandfather has dementia (early signs) and one leg!
He requires blood transfusions every 3 months, is on meds and doesn't know how to use a mobile phone so doesn't take one with him when he goes for a drive.

He often talks about driving to the pub for a pint at which point I have to remind him that he can't drink and drive. The response I get is, "I can have a pint, it doesn't affect me etc etc". When I showed him the meds leaflet that says that drink can cause him to get drowsy, he got very angry at me.

I have tried to hide the keys but he just calls the car company asking them to get a new one sent. He is as bright as a button when it comes to that but he can't even remember what happened 30 mins before!

It is a worry. I don't doubt that he can still drive ok (I use that term loosely) - even if he is one of those who drives us all mad when we are in a rush - but if he goes out and it's a new piece of road or he can't remember how to get back... that's what scares me.

I have planted to seed that he would need to take his test again when he reaches 90 (in May) and that he will have to take a theory test. I guess I am trying to scare him off using an 'official' way rather than him just thinking I am being mean. But I just don't know what to do that is safest for everyone including him, those on the road and my sanity.
If he goes for a drink ring the police say which pub, and let them do the rest. Safety of other road users must take priority.
I agree with BowlingBun.
Other road users ( which include small children)have to take priority.