[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Letting go of James - autism, residential - Carers UK Forum

Letting go of James - autism, residential

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
I know some members of the forum are facing decisions regarding the future for their children.

BBC Sun 3 Jul 2011 13:30BBC Radio 4 (FM only)

Its my story - letting go of James
"I've driven home from work in tears many times recently, because I just don't want to let go", says Jane, James mother at the start of Letting Go of James. But the truth is that the family isn't coping with him living at home. He is 16, severely autistic, does not speak and can attack other members of the family.

He has been offered a place in full time residential care, and the family is now going through the process of transition. James three brothers take part in several visits to the school and Charles, James' father, comments on the irony that the family is spending more times with James just as they are about to say goodbye
This could become a reality for me if things continue to go downhill, I don't want to, not in a million years but for his own saftey as well as others, I may have to in the next 12 months. I just want to get into September and have his meds assesed to go onto the prozac. Right now they have only agreed to double his rispiridone. Image
Reading this, makes me realise that I'm as anxious about us actually getting funding for S for college/transition service as I am if he doesn't ....

Melly1
This is on today
Have taped it off radio so can listen when S isn't about. S can't cope with "talking" radio - he gets sensory overload. Will need to pysche myself up I reckon.

Melly1