[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Volcanos - Carers UK Forum

Volcanos

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
My son is my husband's carer and receives carers allowance. He went on a short holiday to Turkey and is now stuck there with little prospect of getting back within the next week. In fact, he's been warned that he may be stuck for some time yet! Aside from the problems of managing without him (I'll have to use my annual leave from my job to cover for him), what happens about his carers allowance? Will he have to admit he's away longer than we originally planned?
Liz,

Do you have any input from social services. This could be classed as an emergency so if you receive any outside help,hopefully it could be increased for a while.Even if you dont get outside help now, you still have the option of phoning them. Depends on if something you and hubby want.
We're OK for the moment. I don't mind stepping in for a while, but Alex is concerned that he'll be penalised for being away! He's clearly anxious to get back home and has been told it could be weeks before they manage to get him home! I've never called upon social services in an emergency and so far it's not an emergency (although I'm waiting to go into hospital myself!), but we'll see!
Have a read of this Liz. I would also suggest your son keeps his receipts to show his original journey and then the changes. Probably will never need them but always best to be on safe side.

You could also check with CA unit if you are really worried and would like to hear it from them.
Details here

Temp breaks in caring

You can still receive Carer's Allowance if you take a temporary break from caring, as follows:

•if you go on holiday, or the person you care for has a holiday or a stay in a care home, your Carer's Allowance may be paid for up to four weeks in any 26 week period

•if you receive treatment as an inpatient in a hospital or similar institution, your Carer's Allowance can be paid for up to 12 weeks in any 26 week period, depending on whether you have also had breaks from caring for other reasons

•if the person you care for receives treatment as an inpatient in a hospital or similar institution, your Carer's Allowance can be paid for up to 12 weeks in any 26 week period
Your Carer's Allowance will stop if the person's Disability Living Allowance or Attendance Allowance stops. For adults, this is normally after they have been in hospital for four weeks.

The maximum break you can take without your Carer's Allowance being affected is 12 weeks in any 26 week period. You can get further advice about the rules from the Carer's Allowance Unit.