[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Leader debate - Page 2 - Carers UK Forum

Leader debate

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
They will use anything and anybody and any situation to get where they want to be its either using children and education, lower paid, higher paid, anything that is the ''topic' of debate closest to peoples hearts, dont be mislead folks
Sorry folks, but I'm sitting here and wondering what has to happen to satisfy some of us.

We've had comments like "carers won't get a mention in the debate" "we're invisible" and so on, and when we do actually get a mention "it won't make any difference".

Of course it won't. But this is the first time carers have been seen as sufficiently voteworthy as to even get a mention. The fact that the politicians still haven't got their head around the topic is hardly a surprise. It took them a lot longer to get their head around the idea that people should not be bought and sold.
I would have thought Charles it was self explanatory reading the comments.
It's more about what wasn't said in the debate, put with that not all carers think getting a mention is cause for jubilation, remember the person putting the question wanted to know what is going to happen regarding care of the elderly, this would be a big issue with or without any charity campaigning as we have such a growing elderly population.
As regards to respite for all carers, in my simple mind a substantial increase in carers allowance would go a long way in giving people the choice of respite they prefer as opposed to twiddling around with DP's.
I know I'm very cynical but the thought of the Camerons wrestling with the complexity of DP's doesn't seem likely either, why would a couple of millionaire's be in despair of how they were going to get their respite, and did this Eton educated dad really find it that hard to understand?
When you consider the issues facing this country, the national debt, Afgahistan etc. and the home issues of immigration, crime, education, I expected just those to be covered in the in the allotted time, with a mention on the NHS.
To have carers not only mentioned but some of the issues and difficulties debated is a major achievement in the first 3 party leader debate.
When you consider the issues facing this country, the national debt, Afgahistan etc. and the home issues of immigration, crime, education, I expected just those to be covered in the in the allotted time, with a mention on the NHS.
To have carers not only mentioned but some of the issues and difficulties debated is a major achievement in the first 3 party leader debate.
I agree, and I was delighted, as a friend keeps telling me 'onwards and upwards' Image
A a big thank you from me for all those who have been campaigning for years and years!
[quote]DAVID CAMERON Look, all of us, when we we get older, want to spend as long as possible at home before going into residential care.
Anything we can do to help people adapt their homes and live in their homes, and also to help the carers, if carers stopped caring in Britain, whether for disabled children or elderly people, if they packed up and gave up, that would cost us £50 billion as well as the hurt and pain it would cause. So giving carers clearer rights and saying if you care for someone, you should get a break. The thing every carer says to me more than anything else is, "Give me a break every now and again, and I can go on doing what I do". I hope as we try and seek
some consensus, let's put the carer absolutely up front and centre. They're Britain's unsung heroes.

NICK CLEGG]
I just caught the end of the debate re carers = unsung hero`s and so on--
but why is it whenever we talk about carers it always gets round to "THE HOUSE" we have some 6 million carers ? and over 1 million work for more then 50 hours per week yet only 550-000 are entitled to the carers allowance , in any one year we have only 20-000 to 40-000 elderly disabled home owners who req residential social care,
They always miss the point , we dont want our elderly disabled relatives in residential social care we want them to be cared for at home , if they have a family member who can do that work all well and good , a relative carer can do the work at a cheaper rate then any care service from the local authority / government , lets get real can any national care service offer the same level of care that a family member can , many req 24/7 care and we can do just that, some elderly may not have the benefit of a family member for various reasons, they are the ones who will need help via the state , they should be given the chance to use their disability benefits for their personal care others should retain their disability benefits to help with their own care at home via a full time carer , the carers allowance should be increased to reflect the work we do and the cash we save .
they should have told us why pensioners , students and those who care for more then one perosn cant / dont get the level of carers allowance that they deserve..
no one talked about the carers allowance being the lowest payable and the only benefit that is conditional on the carer working,
no mention of the A.A. or D.L.A. being withdrawn to pay for care at home , Cameron missed a good chance to put the P.M. on the back foot.
direct payments & individual budgets = means testing ...
i hate it when they talk of reaching a consensus what does that mean lets talk and talk then make a decission that we can all agree on ... you know something that will cost us nowt...
if they want to talk lets hope they talk to the right people many groups and charities , think tanks are out of touch , it looks to me as though if you aint educated your opinion counts for nowt.
i had a good laugh at NICK CLEGG when he said all carers will receive a ONE WEEK HOLIDAY now how will that work - will they pay for my carees respite break the problem then is how can i afford a holiday like many carers i just dont have the cash for such a break, but my bigest worry is the standard of many rest/ care homes sory but we dont like them ...
GORDON BROWN used the word commission -- will he be setting up a full ROYAL COMMISSION ??? just a few weeks ago he hinted that parliament itself would set out plans re care and not a Royal commission....
what is an urgent needs payment ??? and why should someone who owns a home get more benfit help then someone who dose not own a home, surely we want al the elderly disabled to remain within their "own homes " and not just those who own them ....iam confused again....
attendance allowance & disability living allowance are benfits set in place to help the elderly disabled to pay for care/ help that will enable them to remain within their own home ....
In my opinion i did not see this a good night for carers and carers issues - to talk of the massive savings to the N.H.S. 50 billion quid more like 80 billion yet not one word of the low payment that carers receive was an insult ...
we will remain the unsung hero`s, and will recieve little more then the customary "pat on the back" nowt will change so all we can expect is more of the same .....