[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
LADY WARNOCK - Page 3 - Carers UK Forum

LADY WARNOCK

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
Understanding but not condoning creates a state of total hypocrisy. And injustice. What if Betty had been smothered not by her husband, in his 80s, but by, say, a niece in her late 20s – out of love and concern for her aunt. Would the court have shown the same leniency?
This extract makes you think more about this.

There has been quite a few comments added now after that article.
I find the whole thing way too scary.

Rie

Rie
Hi Rie,

Do you mean a situation like this scares you or fact that I have posted the article.Although I find all view points and this topic interesting, there may be others here like yourself who dont wish to read stuff like this.Just let me know okay and I wont post any more articles relating to this topic.
I apologise if this subject has upset anyone.

Rosemary
x x x
I find this thread very interesting especially as I find myself at the beginning of this long road. My Mother has been diagnosed with dementia (the word Alzheimers has not yet been used by her GP) and we are just beginning to come to terms with the implications of the diagnosis.

Whilst I can fully sympathise with those disabled people who are in desperate pain and who have little, if any, chance of a cure - in the main they do still have all their mental faculties and can make decisions for themselves. In these cases I feel that the 'law is an ass'. These people should be allowed to depart this world when and how they so decide.

However where the person concerned has lost or is losing their mental faculties, as in Alzheimers then the law must protect them, not pressure them. Because of their illness they can no longer make decisions for themselves and it would be totally wrong for anyone to make such a decision on their behalf. I know that my Mother doesn't like what is happening to her and is fearful of the future, but never once has she said that she wants to die.

I truly hope that Lady Warnock never finds herself in the position of either developing Alzheimers or having to care for a loved one with Alzheimers - it is so distressing to see someone you love change so drastically. My Mother was once a vibrant, lively and intelligent woman - now she is someone who is frightened to even go 200yds down the road to the local shops for milk in case she gets lost.

susieq[/b]
Who does Lady Warnock think she is, I happened to read this thread, and was outraged and shocked at her opinions, firstly anyone unfortunate who suffers from an illness or disabilty is not a burden, but a human being, who deserves to be treated with respect and dignity and are very much part of society, they have rights too. They didn't ask for an illness/disabilty, the fact is it can happen to anyone, even Lady Warnock. Don't they feel bad enough, as it is, and then go on to hear the opinions of an ex-headteacher like her? She should look up the word compassion in her dictionary.

Secondly I thought Wars were fought to stop people like her expressing their stupid opinions, what gives her the right to decides what a person's best interests are? Who is she to pass judgement on matters of life and death?

Finally, what about the Carers who save the Government billions, and care 24/7 365 days a year single-handedly, as oppposed to a team? Image Image Image

What a deluded wind bag! Her views are criminal! Image Image Image Image
ive got my eye on her if she ever suffers with dementia or alzheimers i`ll be reminding her of what she said -or was she just talking about poor people those who cant pay for private care

Rie
Hi Rie,

Do you mean a situation like this scares you or fact that I have posted the article.Although I find all view points and this topic interesting, there may be others here like yourself who dont wish to read stuff like this.Just let me know okay and I wont post any more articles relating to this topic.
I apologise if this subject has upset anyone.

Rosemary
x x x

Hi Rosemary

The situation scares me! It should be discussed - sorry if you misunderstood me.

Rie x
Thanks for letting me know Rie.

x x
I haven't read her comments but I doubt very much she was advocating involuntary euthanasia on the grounds of saving money! To do so would be to incur the full wrath of all sentient beings
The telegraph reported her as saying
Lady Warnock said]

Melanie Phillips wrote a scathing riposte in the Mail headlined "Now our intellectuals think the old and frail have a 'duty to die', we are on the path to barbarism"
Thanks Matt - maybe the good Lady is herself having a touch of dementia... what a horrid eugenic argument.. Once you allow this thin end of the wedge, then they start to sterilise the feeble minded, euthanase the psychotic, and abort the children of criminals... where does it all end? That said, should I be suffering from a prolonged decline of body or mind, I still want to have the right to die on my own terms, its a personal thing and I don't want governments or the religious theorists getting in the way of that and taking over from my autonomy.

My F-in-l was very demented towards the end, but whilst he couldn't speak, he had ways of letting me know very directly by gesture that he was still able to think, feel, and notice what was going on around him... right until the very end...
I hardly ever read Daily Mail articles but I read that and was absolutely disgusted with Lady Warnocks' lack of knowledge on the subject and disregard for human emotions.

I was listening to radio 4 the other week about euthanasia and there was a lady speaking who was suffering from MS and wanted the right to die, I think that if the person who wants to be euthanised can make the decision then that's ok but I dont agree that someone should euthanised because 'they're a burden on the family and the state' it sounds like putting an animal down. Lady Warnock, ILL HUMANS ARE NOT ANIMALS!!!!! Image Image Image Image Image Image