[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
LADY WARNOCK - Carers UK Forum

LADY WARNOCK

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
LADY WARNOCK HAS SAID TODAY THAT PEOPLE WITH DEMENTIA / ALZHEIMERS SHOULD BE HELPED TO COMMIT SUICIDE IF THEY BECOME A BURDEN TO THEIR FAMILY AND THE N.H.S.

I CAN UNDERSTAND WHERE SHE IS COMING FROM BUT IAM SAD TO SAY SHE IS A BIT INSENSITVE AND IGNORANT OF THE FACTS .

ALL CASES ARE DIFFERENT IN OUR CASE STAN HAD ALZHEIMERS JUST FOR THE LAST 3/4/ YEARS OF HIS LIFE AND HE DID ASK US LONG BEFORE THAT IF HE WAS IN PAIN AND A BURDEN TO THE FAMILY IF ANYTHING HAPPENED TO HIM WE HAD TO "LET HIM GO" IN FACT WHEN HE WAS SERIOUSLY ILL WE DID INFORM THE DOCTORS NOT TO RESUCETATE HIM AND ALLOW HIM TO GO PEACEFULLY AND IN FACT THAT IS WHAT HAPPENED.

BUT WHEN LADY WARNOCK TALKS ABOUT BEING A BURDEN TO THE N.H.S. SHE`S OUT OF ORDER THATS WHAT THE N.H.S. IS THERE FOR TO CARE FOR OUR SICK RELATIVES WHEN WE CANT CARE FOR THEM AT HOME AND TO TALK ABOUT BEING A BURDEN TO THE N.H.S. WHAT ABOUT US WHO CARE FOR PEOPLE WITH DEMENTIA AT HOME BY CARING FOR THEM AT HOME WE REMOVE THE BURDEN FROM THE N.H.S. AND FOR WHAT £50 A WEEK THE BURDEN TO THE N.H.S. SOCIAL CARE IS ABOUT £1-200 PER WEEK FOR A PATIENT WITH ALZHEIMERS TO BE CARED FOR YET WE CARERS DO THIS WORK WEEK IN WEEK OUT FOR NEXT TO NOTHING IF CARERS DID NOT DO THIS WORK THE SO CALLED BURDEN TO THE N.H.S. WOULD BE BILLIONS OF POUNDS EXTRA PER YEAR.

TO HELP SOMEONE COMMIT SUICIDE JUST BECAUSE THE HAVE DEMENTIA/ALZHEIMERS IS WRONG HOWEVER IF THEY BECOME ILL WITH SAY PNEUMONIA OR ANOTHER ILLNESS THAT IS LIFE THREATENING IAM HAPPY AS WE DID TO "LET THEM GO" LADY WARNOCK ALSO SAID THE SICIDE PACT IS FOR PEOPLE WITH DEMENTIA OR ALZHEIMERS AND NOT FOR PEOPLE WITH MULTIPLE DISABILITIES SHE SAYS AS LONG AS YOUR BRAIN IS WORKING YOU CAN COPE WITH YOUR DISABILITIES .

SHE ALSO SAID BY ALOWING THEM TO COMMIT SUICIDE IT WOULD STOP THE FAMILY FROM LOSING OUT FINANCIALY GOOD POINT BUT WHY LOSE OUT THE STATE SHOULD PROTECT LIFE AND AS A CARER WE SHOULD BE PAID FOR THE CARE WORK WE DO ON BEHALF OF THE STATE

GEORGE=======

GEORGE=======
Mary Warnock frequently has opinions which I find distasteful to say the least. I found her interview profoundly disturbing, to suggest that people who will have contributed to society all their lives but who are now non compis mentis, should be enabled, encouraged in fact, to accept an early death in order to make financial savings is shocking as well as totally insensitive to any listeners who might be in the early stages of dementia. Intelligence doesn't always equate to the ability to see things through the eyes of others.
The WARLOCK is and always has been a completely hard nosed old cow who should have been put down a long time ago .................
"Though shall not kill".....
At least not on a Sunday.
Seriously, it's already been made legal to abort viable babies for life style reasons, so how long before OAPs, disabled or anyone else that doesn't 'fit' into the work ethic which is being shoved down our throats are disposed of.
The new promise of free nursery places for 2 year olds is just an excuse to indoctrinate babies and force mothers back out to work so they can be taxed.
Let children be children - adulthood comes too soon.
Let older people grow old in peace and comfort
Let disabled people have access to whatever they need to help them live - as opposed to exist.
Sorry, I'm dreaming again!!
Hi Gem,

Your post made me think of a film from way way back...Logans Run ( In a man-made city of the 23rd century, humans live in a world without crime, hunger, or strife. The only problem is that no one is allowed to live past the age of 30 (population control) ) Image
WELL SAID GEM Image
agree with you Gem.

I visited the ward I worked on, when I had just had my first baby. I took him in to show him off. One of the old ladies had very progressed senile dementa, and was so sad. Everyone wanted a cuddle, and the lady with Alzheimers had her turn. Her face lit up. It is something I will never forget,and I feel so humble that my baby could have given her a few seconds of ordinary love in her heart.

How do any of us ever know when a person has no quality of life. As a Carer I don't feel I have much of a quality of life,but then something lovely happens, and my heart glows. Image
A not dissimilar tale, I did voluntary work some years back in a ward for ladies with dementia, some had been institutionalised for many years. I loved being with them and ended up going in every day. One day I was with one of the ladies and she spoke to me, I'd never heard her speak before and I was told that it was the first time that she had spoken for longer than the staff could remember. All it needed was for someone to come in and actually have the time, not just to look after their physical needs, but to relate to them as people who mattered and they did matter to me, it didn't concern me that one told me the same story every day, that she was waiting for her husband who was a policeman to return from work so that she could get him his tea, it was real to her and I was happy to share her reality and talk about him and what they would have for tea. We can't talk about lives not being worth living until we give a quality of life to those who are deemed to have nothing left to offer society, until we meet them at the stage of life they're at and share those lives, everyone has worth, there is no such thing as a person who is a burden, if we care enough we can value everyone and ensure that their lives have value for them and that they feel valued. These ladies gave me far more than I could ever give them.
Hi Gem,

Your post made me think of a film from way way back...Logans Run ( In a man-made city of the 23rd century, humans live in a world without crime, hunger, or strife. The only problem is that no one is allowed to live past the age of 30 (population control) ) Image
I'm well and truly stuffed then... Image Image

The trouble with euthanasia is that for it to be a viable option requires that everyone involved

1) agrees with it

2) understands the concept

3) is fully aware of the arguments for and against and can make an informed choice

Too many pitfalls. Too easy to take shortcuts. Too easy to go down the Logan's Run/ totalitarian state line. No thanks.