[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
daily express article - Carers UK Forum

daily express article

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
I was just reading an article in the daily expres about the article handing out to much benefits.

That 20,000 are receiving more than £30,000 a year in benefits.

You can leave comments on there, and some really angered me that people on benefits are scroungers.

I was just reading an article in the daily expres about the article handing out to much benefits.

That 20,000 are receiving more than £30,000 a year in benefits.

You can leave comments on there, and some really angered me that people on benefits are scroungers.

The daily express has never been the most compassionate and understanding paper. The newspaper is slightly more credible than the red-top tabloids but articles in there regarding benefits, immigration and crime should be taken with a pinch of salt.

Daily Express = newspaper run by right wing tossers
Good Oh.
I look forward to the letter telling me that i am to get 30k. Image
The problem is they never tell you what those families are. If you have 10 children then of course you will get a lot lot more in benefits. If that 30,000 has to support 12 people then it isn't a lot of money.

I have met one of our members who is a carer who has 2 severely disabled children, a disabled husband and her elderly mother living with her. Chances are the benefits bill for that household will be very high, and quite right too in my opinion.

What papers like the express never say is that the benefit rules are applied equally to everyone and if people get more overall money, then is probably a good reason - usually that the money has to cover a lot of people, or a lot of people with high needs.

I know there are problems with fraud but fraud cases are never anywhere as big as the papers would have us believe. Most of the 'fraud' figures are DWP mistakes. I think articles like this merely encourage people to look down on people on benefits and are not helpful.

Matt
Most of the 'fraud' figures are DWP mistakes. Matt
To right.
I was going to be charged with fraud to the scale of 5k till i proved that in fact we had done everything right and the fault was with the DWP
You are right Matt. My husband, elder son and younger son were each in receipt of DLA and Inapacity benefit at one time, plus we were on Income support. It sounded a very good income,but with the needs that each person had,it didn't go far, although we got by.
And bear in mind that the official fraud figures include official errors in payment where the person making the claim did nothing wrong!
And bear in mind that the official fraud figures include official errors in payment where the person making the claim did nothing wrong!
That what was happened in my case.
My claim is being looked into at the moment, see i do part time work less than 16 hrs, in fact its 6hrs per week.

I have done extra hours, that i have wrote and informed them i did..... problem is they have no record of receiving letters.

How am i supposed to prove i did everything right, if they find defecits.....

Scrathing my head, its driving me mad................... juggling caring, work and telling them what im doing........... grrrr.

Sorry my first posts are awful.
When I worked in the Dole Office in the early 80s, 15 of us each had a workload of 180ish claimants to 'look after' each fortnight. In our monthly official 'count', only those in receipt of unemployment benefit were 'counted'. Everyone else WASN'T. That's where the Government get their official unemployment figures from.................. ie. if you were on income support, you didn't get counted, therefore not included in the official figures.