[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Keeping a diary - Carers UK Forum

Keeping a diary

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
I just wanted to highlight a tip I had from Bowlingbun which was to keep a diary.
I've been doing this since Dad was admitted to hospital and I can see the benefits already. I'm including all info on all aspects so any contact with hospital professionals, agency staff, CHC calls, OT, District Nurse, GPs, Pharmacists, Care Support, Social Services, Discharge team. Also any changes in medication and visits to Nursing Homes. You can see I have a lot going on and it helps to pin point names and dates so as you sound as though you know what you are talking about. It helps as a reminder to follow things up and helps if you have any complaints to lodge. I'm also recording progress or decline of my caree so I can justify any claims for care needs in meetings further down the road.

Once things start getting complicated I can really see the benefit of careful records!
Henrietta,

I would second this. I kept a notebook entitled "Project Mum" and entered everything in this. Social workers and hospital staff were not keen but it did keep them on their toes and fortunately I had a record of what was said when and also all important phone numbers on the inside back cover.

How are things going with dad? How is he at the moment?

Anne x
I am definitely going to start doing this with my son too. It is very hard to keep track of everything that is going on and who says what - still seem to be getting different stories and recommendations from different staff involved. It makes it very difficult to come up with a robust and cohesive plan for support after discharge (not that there even seems to be a plan - was told yesterday it would be next week, and this morning it might be tomorrow!!!)
Stephanie, there MUST be some sort of care plan sorted out, at very least so you have names, addresses, phone numbers and email addresses of the people you may need to speak to, especially should something urgent arise.
Especially the email addresses. After each phone conversation you can then email them what they have agreed to, next steps etc. "just as a reminder for you both" ;) . If you ever need to complain, the paper trail will be very helpful.
Hi Anne

His pain is still not under control but he had a better night last night. He walked along the hospital corridor so he is better than when he was admitted but still very poorly. Spoke to the nurse about CHC again today and she said that she couldn't remember anyone on her elderly peoples ward getting CHC. She said a male patient with far more complex needs than Dad had just been rejected for CHC so not optimistic at all.
Henrietta, they said exactly the same to me about my mum too. There is so much ignorance on the subject, or is it deliberately misinformation? Regardless of what they think, they must still go through the process properly. If dad can hobble with a Zimmer, under the CHC rules it means he may score more highly than if he was hoisted, as he is in more danger of falling! My mum, needing 2 nurses and a hoist, was scored B, not A for mobility. How on earth can someone with zero mobility not score highest?!?!
Hi Bowlingbun
That is total madness and yes Dad does hobble with a zimmer. Initially the ward nurse told me Dad got the highest score in two categories- risk of falls and skin fragility (ulcers/pressure sores). I printed off the info you gave me a link for and I will do my own notes on each category before any meeting but I doubt they will listen. The hospital have given their input to CHC but assessment to be done once he is home with my input also.
About CHC. You have to score severe in 2 categories (domains) to get CHC
The definition of severe in mobility is "Completely immobile and/or clinical condition such that, in either case, on movement or transfer there is a high risk of serious physical harm and where the positioning is critical." A risk of falls will only score you moderate or high.

Tissue viability: the definition to get a severe is "Open wound(s), pressure ulcer(s) with ‘full thickness skin loss involving damage or necrosis to subcutaneous tissue, but not extending to underlying bone, tendon or joint capsule’ which are not responding to treatment and require regular monitoring/reassessment.
OR
Open wound(s), pressure ulcer(s) with ‘full thickness skin loss with extensive destruction and tissue necrosis extending to underlying bone, tendon or joint capsule’ or above
OR
Multiple wounds which are not responding to treatment."

If you want to see the exact definitions of the categories google "CHC decision support tool"
This will show you what he would score and if you think that he would get a sever in 2 different categories it will give you ammunition for appeal.
Hi Crocus- thanks for that. I would say Dad definitely met both criteria upon admission to ward. Since then his mobility has improved to possibly middle category rather than highest category- at least that will be their view. As for tissue- again he would have been in the top category partly self inflicted because at home he wasn't going to bed or putting his feet up. I think ulcers have improved on the ward and as such "are responding to treatment" Once again they may well put him down to the middle category rather than the highest category. I can see get out clauses galore before me.