[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
just need to talk.... - Page 2 - Carers UK Forum

just need to talk....

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
I know exactly what you mean, Ladybird. So sad - my mum is 85 and also fading (mobility, dementia etc). The only way I see it is that the fading is Nature's way of preparing us for the inevitable. I dread the day too and wonder how I cope. All we can do is make the best of the time we have.

On the practical side, is your dad in social housing? If so, would the GP support you in requesting a transfer to a place more practical for his needs?
No, my Dad owns his own property and has some savings so we are not entitled to anything! Not that I expect anything, but sometimes it makes me a bit angry to think that both he & Mum served in the forces during the war, they both worked all their lives, they did a lot of voluntary work particularly for getting a brand new A&E department at our local hospital, but he can't get anything - oops, I tell a lie - when he was discharged from 5 weeks residential physio rehab last year, they gave him a delta trolley and a toilet frame! Well "loaned" him, I should say.
Big hugs from me too Ladybird.

I understand your situation as mine isn't too different. My dad is 93 next month and has deteriorated a great deal over the last few months...I even have spinal stenosis.

Have you been in touch with the forces organisations at all for any support they can give? My dad has just moved into a naval care home and my mum, whose had macular degeneration, had lots of great help and support from St Dunstans. The British Legion is another source of support and, on the practical side, SSAFA.

Just a thought...
J x
ladybird, My heart goes out to you, in the past 10 years, I've lost both my wonderful parents and my beloved Uncle. It's so hard, sending lots of (((((((((((((hugs )))))))))))))) to you. Stay strong, you can do it, you will surprise yourself.
Phoebe xxxx
No I haven't juggler - although my Dad and I and my children always send donations on my Mum's birthday, and my Dad gets his Christmas cards from them, so it's not as if I don't know about SSAFA. I think I've had it knocked into me that because my Dad has some savings, that's it, we're on our own. Thank you for that suggestion, I'll take a look.
(((HUGS))) from me too.xx
Owe bless as everyone has said big hugs & how true a hug has such power such comfort - but don't forget the Samaritans are great & the people often have been through the same situation as you or know a man that has take your time when talking it can make an enormous difference any time night or day. Take care of yourself take your time no rush god bless.
Just to say we are all here listening and sending you cyber support.

Hope the organisations suggested by Juggler help - you and your Dad are as entitled as the next person!

Melly1