[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
"it would have been easier if they had just shared the - Page 2 - Carers UK Forum

"it would have been easier if they had just shared the

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
Excalibur, take care that you don't lose a finger (or worse) on that tongue of yours.Image I reserve the right to be frivolous here, because I can't be in real life. I reserve the right to have a bit of harmless & spiteless fun instead of being IMHO the pompous killjoy which you sound like at times.

As for prosecco and a footsoak being luxuries - you try carrying a rucksack filled with the equivalent of half a carbootful of groceries (even wearing better quality walking boots than I can afford at the moment) for over an hour twice a week and then tell me that you don't need a footsoak (albeit a cheap one) plus something else to ease the pain. Soldiers and professional dancers look after their feet, and so do I.

BTW this is the Banana Republic Borough of Lambeth - repeatedly "trying"isn't anywhere near enough (even with expert advice) to get what is needed, the blood of your 1st born isn't enough, going to the press isn't enough - have I made myself clear?

I don't get respite - can't afford it (and my high care high mobility husband wouldn't be classed as being in enough need of it, anyway). Even a sitter (supplied by Crossroads) would be £10 an hour here - that's more than the nominal £6. One hour from somebody supplied by social services would be £17 - certainly can't afford that. It's ironic than my mum works the other side of London as an agency "carer/sitter" (sic) for £10 an hour - I couldn't afford to pay my own mother to look after my husband out of the nominal £6, and it wouldn't be enough for a cleaner either (unless blackmarket - against my principles).

Can't afford to pay social services to do the shopping for a few weeks so that this poxy joint injury would have a chance of healing a bit more quickly. Still haven't got registered with a GP (can't, because of the time of morning it has to be done - rules is rules), so little chance of getting it treated anyway. Oh yes, I'm so posh, lazy and/or frivolous. Image
Ah, Lambeth. Easy. Just tell them you wish to redefine your religion as rastafarian and your sexuality as "transgender", that should tick all the boxes. Sorry, I was talking about normal local authorities, Lambeth has always been a law unto itself...

Why on earth do you choose to live in Lambeth? Have you ever considered emigration to say, oh I dont know, Leamington Spa, for the sake of argument?
Is there such a thing as a normal local authority, that suggests a large degree of consistency and there is none, you only have to read the Carers News threads to see the variations in service provision and charging.
No, there are all different, and thats part of the fun. It could be worse; in Luxemburg, a country of around 500,000 people, there are over a hundred local authorities, all of which define the criteria their own way. But whats the alternative ... national criteria that make no distinction whether you live in the scilly islands or toxteth?

(scuse the typos, I'm using a mini-notebook here on holiday and the text is about 3 pt on my screen)

PS, what the 'eck is a prosecco anyway, some kind of pizza?
National criteria and a national charging policy would ensure consistent needs and financial assessments and costs, they would save on the costs of assessing people who patently do not meet the criteria and make it harder to deny services to those who do and they would remove the current crazy system where if you move from one LA area to another you have to repeat the assessment process and may end up losing the services which you were receiving elsewhere and/or paying for services which were provided free or at lower cost. Scotland may very different but in England accessing social care is a postcode lottery.
Which doesnt answer the point... how can you have the same criteria in an urban area as a rural area? Why should a Tory Shire have the same criteria as a coal mining area? Why bother to have local councils at all?
People require similar care provision wherever they live, are you suggesting that their location should determine the care with which they are provided and not their needs?
Prosecco is a dry white sparkling Italian wine, Excalibur, often used as a cheap substitute for champagne.

As for eligibility criteria for services, surely it is not about where you live but what your needs are. In fact it is about the way the social care services divvy up "their" money under Fair Access to Care Services - a national eligibility tool that insists that councils choose where they draw the line using those criteria. The criteria are set at four levels: Low, Moderate, Severe and Critical.

Nobody with "moderate" needs gets services in Leicester City, but they do in Leicestershire and in Rutland. In some areas, only those with "critical" needs receive services. And if you move from an area that is more enlightened/has more money to an area that has a much tighter screw on services, tough. You lose whatrever services you were getting. A national scheme setting out identical entitelemnts would stop this lottery.

I'd put my £6 towards an iTunes voucher.
can I just point out that I use my hubby's Direct payments for respite, ok, it doesn't go far, but it does ensure I get a couple of weekends and a whole week! the paperwork is a pain, but they never check it round here....so I do it once in a blue moon Image
As for the six quid...mmm, think it would have to be a couple of bottles of pear cider (I'm a cheap girl Image ) and tesco cookies!
SERVICE PERSONNEL AND VETERANS AGENCY WILL NOT GIVE US THE RESPITE BREAK WE NEED UNLESS IAM IL OR HOSPITALISED - THEY HAVE NOW TOLD ME THE SUBJECT IS CLOSED .

LOCAL AUTHORITY HAVE NOW REPLIED RE RESPITE CARE AND WE CAN HAVE 2 WEEKS BUT THEY WANT ME TO PAY HALF THE COST WAIT FOR IT THE WANT £450 PER WEEK FROM ME AND THEY WILL BE SO KIND AND PAY THE OTHER HALF .

AT DOCTORS SURGERY THEY KNEW NOTHING OF THE 150 MILLION £`S FOR CARERS RESPITE BREAKS VIA THE P.C.T. THEN THEY CALLED BACK AND SAID IT WAS FOR "WORKING CARERS ONLY" THEY DID NOT KNOW IF I WOULD QUALIFY THEY SAID THEY WOULD CONTACT ME A.S.A.P. THAT WAS 5 WEEKS AGO .