[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
IT`S OFFICIAL CARERS ARE DISADVANTAGED - Carers UK Forum

IT`S OFFICIAL CARERS ARE DISADVANTAGED

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
136 posts
H.M. QUEEN ELIZABETH with some help from the outgoing Prime Minmister GORDON BROWN has made it clear that carers are in fact " disadvantaged " well if thats so why cant he do something about it like a rise in the carers allowance and an end to the removal of the D.L.A. & A.A. set in place to help the elderly disabled that we as carers look after .
Several reasons I can think of, George, but there is no harm asking!
Some carers do not see their "disadvantage" in purely financial terms. Money isn't everything, as you and I both know.

But however well-off or poor carers are, there is the constant burden of grave responsibility for another human being's welfare, and that is what unites and defines us. Carers allowance is only claimed by a small fraction of carers - raising it will not solve all our problems unless we also address the other factors.
Well, they could take the means testing out of the equation and that would be a great start and go a long way in starting to deal with Carer poverty wouldn't it!
marie x
Carers Allowance isn't means tested, per se, well not in the normal sense of that term. It only takes into account "earned income" - so you could have a whacking great private pension or income from investments and still get it.
I SERIOUSLY object to being described as disadvantaged! I am not some kid from a sink estate in need of an adventure playground!!!!!!!!!!!! Image

Now if they'd described us as screwed, abused and bullied by the system they might have been a bit nearer to accuracy! Image
I SERIOUSLY object to being described as disadvantaged! I am not some kid from a sink estate in need of an adventure playground!!!!!!!!!!!! Image

Now if they'd described us as screwed, abused and bullied by the system they might have been a bit nearer to accuracy! Image
Perhaps a child living on a "sink estate" would "SERIOUSLY object" to your sense of outrage at being associated with him/her.

I think that you entirely miss the point, there is no homogeneous group who can be defined as the disadvantaged, you may be more fortunate than many but the reality is that the majority of carers experience financial, social, physical and emotional disadvantage through society's and government's refusal to acknowledge and address the impact of caring on family members.
HA HA HA! Not the kids on the sink estate near here!!!! Indeed - not the kids who turned an estate we used to live on into a sink estate!!!!!!!!!!!!! Image Image Image Image Image
My point is that the term disadvantaged portrays an incorrect image of the situation.
Having been a carer for 25 years I know all about the way we are treated, abused and marginalised by authority and I still object to the use of the word disadvantaged in this context - ye gods they'll have us all turned into charity cases next!!!!!! Image Image Image Image
[/quote]
HA HA HA! Not the kids on the sink estate near here!!!! Indeed - not the kids who turned an estate we used to live on into a sink estate!!!!!!!!!!!!! Image Image Image Image Image
My point is that the term disadvantaged portrays an incorrect image of the situation.
Having been a carer for 25 years I know all about the way we are treated, abused and marginalised by authority and I still object to the use of the word disadvantaged in this context - ye gods they'll have us all turned into charity cases next!!!!!! Image Image Image Image
Perhaps it is worth considering the influence of the attitudes towards and expectations of children born on these estate on their outcomes but then I do not believe in a hierarchy of deservedness nor of knowledge. Neither do I believe that one person's experience is indicative of all people's experiences and therefore definitive. Now where have I heard that expression "charity cases" before Image Image ?
[/quote]

I'm a carer too and I don't feel in the least abused or marginalised. I can only speak for myself, but I think the support system for me and my family is really very good. I especially liked the flexibility of being able to send my son off for three weeks respite in New Zealand this summer with a family friend/volunteer. They had a wonderful time, all expenses paid, and we had a lovely break. So all I can say is that if it isn't working for you, maybe you aren't getting it right and should have another go?
Sorry, Boggle - what do you mean by "charity cases"?
136 posts