[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
night time security - Carers UK Forum

night time security

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
hi,my 85 year old mum is getting unsafe going on the commode in the night.wondered if there was any advice out there on the best pads or pants to get through the night and be dry.jane.
Contact the GP practice, they should have a Continence Nurse to advise. It might be that she might benefit from a different commode, or a toilet frame around it. Can you tell us a bit more about her health issues? When did she last have a Needs Assessment from Social Services, and you, a Carers Assessment? Is she claiming Attendance Allowance?
hi ,mum has just had social care assessment and i have done a carers assessment.she is not incontinent she has mobility issues.arthritis is getting worse and she cant lift herself onto commode .we are having a track fitted soon ,and a sling to help us.i am thinking when i finally get a care agency to call in a few days a week,how will she manage to wait to be lifted for toileting?she is worried about wetting herself inbetween visits.i am also worried as i will be the one doing the washing of the bedding,if accidents do happen.thats why any advice on keeping dry would be gratefully accepted.thanks for your comments.jane
If she needs a lot of help to get to the toilet, then she needs Continence products "just in case", so contact the surgery. You need to have a tumble dryer, at very least, to minimise the time spent doing the laundry.
Surely the night time pads would help to catch any 'premature leakage' so to speak, if the problem is that she is very slow in getting to the commode. The pads come in a variety of thicknesses, depending on just how much 'leakage' there is.

The other rather tediously-obvious suggestion (as in, I'm sure everyone has said this to you already, and it was obvious to you in the first place anyway!!!!) is for her to drink as little as she can in the evening. My SIL never drinks liquid after about 8 pm - she has a bad hip, and a commode by her bed to save her painful trek to the loo in the night - and reducing the volume she is in imbiding in the evening helps to keep the night-loo-breaks to only a couple.....

Sorry if that's something your mum is already taking on board, ie, the reducing liquid intake in the evening. (It's a damn nuisance, for all that - personally I love a cup of hot tea just before bedtime, and I'd hate to have to do without it.)

(Don't cut down on liquid intake during the day - dehydration won't improve her heath at all!)
jane_17121234567 wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:46 pm
hi,my 85 year old mum is getting unsafe going on the commode in the night.wondered if there was any advice out there on the best pads or pants to get through the night and be dry.jane.
My wife uses a slipper bed pan. (this type is difficult to spill)
I connect its outlet with a flexible pipe to a 1 gallon petrol can.
In this way she can stay in bed all night, use the pan and just raise it up slightly
when done weeing and the urine runs into the can.

Can has to be emptied every 4-5 days.
Very ingenious, Albert. I love homemade inventions, my Dad was very into them too.

Melly1
jane_17121234567 wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:46 pm
I'd suggest getting
(a) waterproof mattress cover; these days they are not 'crinkly' plastic but padded cotton top with soft plastic lining. They can be easily machine washed and dry quite quickly. I had 3 for Mum's bed - one on the bed, one in the wash and a spare.

(b) you can also get waterproof covers for duvets that slip over the duvet before the patterned duvet cover.

(c) If you can afford them I'd suggest looking at incontinence pants rather than pads - they stay in place better. If Mum only requires them at night then do get the night time ones as they hold more.

(d) it's also possible to get waterproof mats to go over chair seats - or you can use the ones for training young children to go dry through the night as they're usually cheaper than the adult version but just as effective.
Hi, What I've found to be useful are puppy training pads, that was on advice of carer. I put them under Mum and if her pads leak a little in the night they stop the bottom sheet & Mum from getting wet. Cost about £14 for 100 from Poundstretchers, would be handy for other purposes too.