[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Just checking - Carers UK Forum

Just checking

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
Has anyone else been offered 'Just Checking' to be installed into their home for a month or longer by Social Care?
Assertive technology they say, a none intrusive movement monitoring system main objection to installing it in order to 'cut care'. Any experience of this gadget anyone? What do you think of it? Would you want 'Just checking' in your home??
http://www.justchecking.co.uk/

https://chuckbuttythejourney.wordpress. ... -checking/
Not as new as that. But we have a call system installed in our flats,
there is a red call button which we can press if we need help.
An operator will reply and ask how they can help.
I needed to press it about 18 months ago, they called an ambulance for me, which was there within 8 minutes.
But the latest system are likely to be more advanced
Colin_1705 wrote:Not as new as that. But we have a call system installed in our flats,
there is a red call button which we can press if we need help.
An operator will reply and ask how they can help.
I needed to press it about 18 months ago, they called an ambulance for me, which was there within 8 minutes.
But the latest system are likely to be more advanced
Hiya Colin, The system you have sounds very good and useful but it's a totally different system to 'just checking'. The just checking one is installed for about a month and removed. It's for monitoring every movements made by everyone coming and going to the home and to monitor all the time in all rooms. They say it's not intrusive but it logs everybody's movements all the time in the house while it's there and it goes online so professionals can log in and look and justify cutting care costs mainly. It even tells professionals what your doing and when, and it logs other people coming in the home and what they are doing. It even logs when you are sleeping if you get up and go to the toilet and everything that anyone does in the house while it's installed. It even says if you have a visitor to your home or someone leaves and who.
If it's only there for a month I guess you could 'cheat' it! ie, EXAGERATE your care needs, and make yourself out WORSE than you really are.....

How would they know the difference??

I agree with you that it's probably basically about saving them money. If they employed more people with the money they spend on all this monitoring rubbish that would be better.

Like the 'smart meters' they are just about pushing up unit prices in the end.

My husband used to say that 'governments and businesses NEVER ask questions for YOUR benefit, only for THEIRS'.

I'd say this is one of them! It 'pretends' to help....bah.

Should be called Just Spying (so we can cut down on what you get from us....)

Means testing by another name!
Hi Charm
Before considering having it installed I'd recommend asking some very pertinent security questions that aren't answered on the Just Checking website and should be.
This is essentially a wireless IOT system where data is 'streamed' from your home to Just checking system, so it should have the utmost and most modern encryption and security protection, but there is no mention of this, a grave oversight in my mind. Also they make no reference to the security and privacy of your data once the system is installed. The only mention is of security and privacy of the users of the website, a huge difference .
Also, if the system was provided by SS then the contract is with them, not you and you'd have no rights.
Some of the above would apply to a lesser extent if the system was used by a family to monitor another family member, but even then I'd be concerned at the lack of attention to internet security issues.
As it reads at the moment it's open to hacking, and then anyone could be monitoring inside your house, or knowing when you all go out!!!

I learned most of the above from the futurelearn courses on internet security. Based on the limited info they have in website, I wouldn't have it in my home or use it to monitor anyone of mine.
Yes it may have benefits, more to SS than private person, but at what risk? Big questions to ask, and thats ignoring the moral questions the idea raises.
Seems like its being developed as well meaning idea but with little obvious attention to internet and data security, imho
Does this remind anyone of George Orwell's "1984" and Big Brother ?
I can see why it has its attractions, both private users and SS, however as its only movement based a lot is supposition. For example 5 minutes in a kitchen does not mean someone is preparing food, let alone eating it.
As I researched it further I was amazed to see how many councils had evaluated it, but without any referral to their It departments who would have picked up on the seeming lack of security. It's been around since early 2000s way before internet and hacking was such a big concern

Technology has moved forward. There are at least 14 sensors in a smart phone so one of those attached to a person could not only report movement, but aspect/angle of tilt, speed, sight via camera etc and in real time rather than by reports ( and could be secure or not, depending on settings and set up)
I have read about similar systems that you can effectively log a persons movements, the device transmits a signal whenever an electrical appliance is turned on.
If the kettle is turned on you know uncle George is having a cup of tea, if the bathroom light is switched on, uncle George is in the bathroom. If the bedroom light is switched on at 11pm, you know Uncle George has gone to bed.

If say there is no electrical activity for hours maybe uncle George has had a fall, just allows relatives to monitor but not have to pop around every 5 minutes.
jenny lucas wrote:If it's only there for a month I guess you could 'cheat' it! ie, EXAGERATE your care needs, and make yourself out WORSE than you really are.....

How would they know the difference??

I agree with you that it's probably basically about saving them money. If they employed more people with the money they spend on all this monitoring rubbish that would be better.

Like the 'smart meters' they are just about pushing up unit prices in the end.

My husband used to say that 'governments and businesses NEVER ask questions for YOUR benefit, only for THEIRS'.

I'd say this is one of them! It 'pretends' to help....bah.

Should be called Just Spying (so we can cut down on what you get from us....)

Means testing by another name!
Hiya Jenny, Yes I quite agree with you, it could be falsified and just a total waste of money and it's used in actual fact to monitor everyone's movements within the house and as they come and go and move about their business. It's been used as an excuse not to provide adequate respite for my son as in if I don't 'co-operate' he doesn't get. So it's just for Social carers use to 'not deliver' support and care in my son's case. I don't want the thing monitoring me for a month either it's a cheek of social care nosey devils they are as it is without try enforcing movement monitors. They need to allocate a worker to my son instead and answer a few of my concerns surrounding the amount of care he gets presently. I'm having to do 15 hrs and he's up in the night. They know that as he was 100% monitored in hospital 24/7.
MrsAverage wrote:Hi Charm
Before considering having it installed I'd recommend asking some very pertinent security questions that aren't answered on the Just Checking website and should be.
This is essentially a wireless IOT system where data is 'streamed' from your home to Just checking system, so it should have the utmost and most modern encryption and security protection, but there is no mention of this, a grave oversight in my mind. Also they make no reference to the security and privacy of your data once the system is installed. The only mention is of security and privacy of the users of the website, a huge difference .
Also, if the system was provided by SS then the contract is with them, not you and you'd have no rights.
Some of the above would apply to a lesser extent if the system was used by a family to monitor another family member, but even then I'd be concerned at the lack of attention to internet security issues.
As it reads at the moment it's open to hacking, and then anyone could be monitoring inside your house, or knowing when you all go out!!!

I learned most of the above from the futurelearn courses on internet security. Based on the limited info they have in website, I wouldn't have it in my home or use it to monitor anyone of mine.
Yes it may have benefits, more to SS than private person, but at what risk? Big questions to ask, and thats ignoring the moral questions the idea raises.
Seems like its being developed as well meaning idea but with little obvious attention to internet and data security, imho
Hiya Mrs Average, Thank god your here to know all this about the security side. Thank you for that, I never even thought of that. I was too cross they were trying to enforce it to be honest. I have told them no but they are trying to bullyboy me into submission (Including yelling down the phone when told no). The fact it monitors movement, switches etc...well my grandchildren come here so they would be monitored too whilst here. My daughter doesn't want that it's really intrusive and I know social care wouldn't pay for anything without a motive...I reckon they could falsify results and justify themselves in cutting care.