[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
:?: Does anyone else dislike the term "carer" - Carers UK Forum

:?: Does anyone else dislike the term "carer"

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
Hi,

new here - I just wondered if anyone else disliked bring referred to as a carer - I guess we each have different experiences of this role and what we have to do.. does anyone have any other term they prefer to use - i want to complete my university application and don't know what to put...

Thanks!
Hi Claire

Welcome to the forum!

It's an interesting question and I think a lot of people will understand where you are coming from.

From Carers UK point of view - as a campaigning and information charity - people who look after relatives have to be callled something. The word carer may not be perfect but it is now in legislation, and obviously there is Carer's Allowance so it benefits people if they can recognise or identify themselves as being carers.

Part of the problem is that other paid workers also use the term which is really unhelpful and quite annoying! We know that many carers identify themselves as a Mum, son, husband and wife. But you can't reallly have a "Mum's, dad's sons and daughters who look after people Allowance".

It's a good debate to have though, as we know many people out there simply don't know the word. What do other's think?

Matt Hill
Communications & Campaigns Manager
Carers UK

PS _ Claire, you need to re-size the picture next to your name should be around 80x80 pixels- we'll send you a PM with some info! Thanks
Don't know about anyone else but I consider myself to be my wife's "PRIMARY CARER". Her "carer" is the lady who gets paid to look after her.
The use of upper and lower case letters is deliberate as it is also an indication of the status of the position and overall responsibility for her welfare and wellbeing.
I guess I just hoped that there might be a term that differentiated us above the paid "carers"
I have no proplems with the word *carer* but i belive we need to give ourselfs some sort of a heading if you like just so we can let other people and goverment bodies of the work we do and what we do saves the goverment alot of money.

Don't get me wrong Claire what we do for our love ones we do with a heart and a half and would have no other way, but many of those out there who are carer for thier love ones are on thier own and need help so to find there hidden carers they need the heading *Carer*.

When we'er at home we will be a Mother, Father, Son, Daughter, Husband, Wife, Neice, Nephew, Aunt, Uncle and Friend, to the outside world we will be the Carer.

Bernie
I guess I just hoped that there might be a term that differentiated us above the paid "carers"

We still struggle with that over here in N.Ireland we call them Trust workers now don't know if that term can be used over in the rest of the U.K????

Bernie
Carers UK has campaigned in the past on this issue and we would argue that paid carers should not be callled "carers" - there are other words such as care worker, support worker, personal assistant.

Below is information from our campaign.

Matt
Helping carers get the recognition they deserve
A campaign sheet for carers, carers groups, disability groups, organisations that support carers.

What is a carer?
Carers look after family, partners or friends in need of help because they are ill, frail or have a disability. The care they provide is unpaid. The term “carerâ€Â
Hi this is a good question, and this is just my personal perception, although officially I am a carer I don`t like the term and never call myself it, if some one asks me I call myself home maker or not working. before I get hung drawn and quartered for this it is my personal opinion I just do not like labels put on people at all.
Hi Claire,

As well as being a family carer I also work under DP's.My contract says I am a personal assistant but the elderly couple I look after tend to use the older name of home help .

Welcome to the forum by the way Image

Rosemary
x x