[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Is CUK fighting to keep CA for those who want to keep it? - Page 2 - Carers UK Forum

Is CUK fighting to keep CA for those who want to keep it?

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
Tinker

Because no one has said it is going to be abolished. I don't understand why you think Carers UK is standing around and letting Carer's Allowance be discontinued?

I feel I have to say this quite clearly as I am worried that new carers joining the forum will take what you say at face value and think Carers UK is happy for carers to lose their main benefit. This is not true.

No one has said it is going to be abolished. In my opinion all this sort of speculation does is frighten people without reason. We all agree Carer's Allowance is a disgrace, it is unfit for purpose. It needs to be changed. At the moment nobody knows what the Government will do.

Matt
Thank you Matt!

I feel there have been a few "scary" posts this week! None of us know and so saying something because we have seen somebody elses opinion in a paper or "somebody said" can cause alarm and frighten people even make them ill and feel they cannot carry on. Having in the past worked in benefits advice with people with disabilities I could tell you many stories do make people ill and very very distressed too.

Until a letter on official paper comes to your door your benefits stay as they are. There is no other simple way of saying it!

If you then need eg if there are changes to your income OR you need help now with financial matter such as any benefit issues please use an official source of information with people qualified to assist you. Such places as the Carers UK or a CAB/ DIAL etc are there for you and you can contact them to help with these issues.

Please stop the fear and whilst I agree it is good to chat about things we have heard or read, it is unfortunately a scary issue and one we need to tread carefully on! Such issues as we will lose this Carers Allowance ( !!) or people will lose their DLA are terrifying for so many vulnerable people. There is nothing official yet that I am aware of and like I say until a letter arrives I cannot worry about "maybes" because of "somebody" saying something which could be true or could be a load of nonsense!

We wait and see if "somebody said something and nobody understood it"!

Chris
Hi
I live in the South East but a lot of our relatives live in the North East and in the 1980's our family member's were told there job's were safe and it was only a rumour that the government were going to close down the mines.
So sometimes Chris rumours are not always fairy tails and they become non fiction.
John
Amen to that JohnRJ
Hi!

yes I agree with the fact re rumours and we will have to wait and see.

My point is a lot of people cannot handle the rumours and it can and does make them very very upset and distressed. Therefore if we can we need to stay focused on facts and wait and see what happens next.

The facts are at the mo we know there are reviews and we know there will be announcements but I would hate to think anybody was getting distressed and not being able to cope because of rumours. Seen it happen before as I am sure you will have done too.

All the best whatever happens I am sure we will discuss it again!

Chris
www.pegfed.co.uk
So far I've heard rumours that Carers Allowance will be doubled, will become a direct payment and about a dozen other things. I've also heard that carers will all be forced into work - but that was a simple act of scaremongering.

It's all speculation. We all like to think that our guess will be accurate. But we simply do not know.

Remember that even those recommending a course of action to a minister do not know what will happen. Sometimes a government will ask for a report and because it does not fit their "world view" will ignore it. For example, 1980's Black Report, which proved the link between poverty and illness.

I remember once that John Gummer, at the time a Junior Employment Minister, was telling a press conference what he was going to do to stamp out sweat shops. While this was going on, one of his aides told me that he'd just been reshuffled to Agriculture! And the sweat shops carried on in business...
I must agree with what has been said here about the speculation causing worry and illness, but also on the other hand knowing something, is happening, but no idea what is also causing worry and illness, for the simple fact that if we are to be short changed it will be to late to be able to do anything about it. Unfortunately when people are told nothing it is human nature to grasp onto ant rumours you hear. What is really needed is just a rough guide line of what is being discussed to put peoples minds as rest.
Hi

I suggest when we write about something that is a possible rumor that we put as an heading.
This posting could possibly Damage your Health.
Like they do on cigarettes.
But yes I agree rumors can put people off and some will worry.
I for one don't want to contribute to that.
But human nature as it is people will always spread rumors.
John.
I must agree with what has been said here about the speculation causing worry and illness, but also on the other hand knowing something, is happening, but no idea what is also causing worry and illness, for the simple fact that if we are to be short changed it will be to late to be able to do anything about it. Unfortunately when people are told nothing it is human nature to grasp onto ant rumours you hear. What is really needed is just a rough guide line of what is being discussed to put peoples minds as rest.
I thought we were already being short changed? As the amount we get is so derisory, we also have very little to lose from a major review. I don't think any politician who has a desire to get re-elected next time around is seriously suggesting that carers get n'owt, so we have little to lose and potentially a lot to gain. Am I bovvered? No, I'm not....lets put the boot in now and tell our local MPs exactly what we think of the peanuts we get.... nicely of course! Image
Thank you everyone for your replies.
I asked the question because I am distressed and worried about what is going to be decided.
I have been worried since before xmas, when I first read about the possible changes to CA.
Having to wait and see until May to find out what is going to happen is very stressful. Many people must feel the same.
I just needed reassurance that CUK are going to carry on fighting to keep CA for those of us carers who depend on it, should the old saying, there is no smoke without fire be true.
My Best wishes and thanks to everyone who has replied.
Thanks everyone for your comments. I think it's worth repeating that no one is being kept in the dark. As far as we can tell final decisions have not been taken yet. The consultations have now finished and the various committees will be reporting to the Minister. This will take a few months for them to finalise and to write the Strategy and get it printed.

I understand the anxiety of not knowing, but the positive thing here is that at last the Government are reviewing what we have all known is a benefit that is not fit for the job. This is what we have been calling for, we can only hope the outcome is positive. But I think what carers can be proud of is that you let the Government know exactly what needs to change.

The people who run Carers UK are our Trustees who are carers themselves and our members, who are carers have all said we expect the Government to deliver and we will judge their plans against what carers said they wanted to see changed.

Matt