[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Is Carers Allowance under threat? - Page 3 - Carers UK Forum

Is Carers Allowance under threat?

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
121 posts
Great debate - very entertaining. But what's the beef?
Do you wish to become a government employee? Do you want to be paid a wage to care? Its a tough one isnt it...take the Queens shilling or get nothing?
In some ways I wish they did abolish Carers allowance - its pathetic - a complete insult and from a personal perspective, hardly covers my petrol, cigarettes and beer for the week, most of which expenditure of course goes right back to the government in tax. The $64,000 question is what alternative bribe - er benefit - do we replace it with? "You dont get owt for n'owt", as my grandfather would have said.
You have every right to refuse the carers allowance.
I have written to my MP about the possible abolition of Carers Allowance and the possible involvement of CUK staff in this.

I have also made an FOI enquiry to the relevant bodies about what decisions have been made behind closed doors and without any consultation.
Ken - sorry if I made a mistake. I didn't mean to upset anyone - just to straighten out a few facts.

There is nothing wrong with being a member of UKCarers. I have never said that there is. However, I was comparing the policies of UKCarers and Carers UK and on the question of Carers Allowance there seems to me to be little difference. The major difference is in their working styles and I personally don't believe that the UKCarers approach does any good. However, it is a free country and you can belong to as many forums as you wish as far as I'm concerned - I belong to a few myself. If you don't like the way you are represented, fair enough - provided you actually know. Somehow I doubt that everything that CUK - or any other campaigning organisation - does is always out in the open. I've been involved in some very private discussions recently in my area and secured a large donation (large for us, that is) for grants to help carers. We're only going public with it now, but I worked for several months on it.

As far as Ian's concerns about the Income Working Group: you'll have to wait until someone who knows the answers can get back to you on this. I'm sure Gavin will be able to help with this. But given the amount of consultation on the Carers Strategy, which has produced a huge amount of evidence that carers want real improvements to the benefits system, all of which will feed into the Group, and CUK's own consultation on the subject, can you honestly still say there was no consultation?

Frankly, if Carers Allowance is abolished and replaced with something better, I have no problem with it. But the government's record so far on benefits doesn't exactly fill me with confidence.
Charles, I am glad you that you have never said there is anything wrong with UKCarers, as your earlier post seemed to infer that the concerns voiced on this thread were not genuine concerns, as you, erroniously, assumed all the posters were from UKCarers.
Carers, whichever and however many boards they post on, are carers, we voice our concerns and our concern, at the moment, is the fact that all these rumours are flying around, which directly impinge upon our lives.
We would like some clarification and reassurance that we are not going to end up worse off than we already are, not a discussion on the differing policies between organizations.
If Carers Allowance were to be abolished and replaced with something better, no one would have a problem with it.
The problem is the not knowing.
What difference would it make if they abolished CA, it's a benefit in name only. IF they took it away tomorrow you would get it back on Income support.

Carers premium is a different thing, that would hurt.

CA should be abolished it's a waste of time. all it does is give the illusion that the government is doing something for carers when in fact they are doing nothing.

If you work part time and receive CA you are going to be £20 a week better of then being on Income support.

The only thing Carers get of the government for caring 24/7 is carers premium when claiming Income support

everything else is a waste of time
As it stands at the moment it does matter if CA is being abolished carers are existing on the bread line as it is, causing enough stress and illness as it is, as Myrtle said our problem is being left in limbo by not actually being told anything, as carers we have a right to know what is happening, by next March it will to late for us to do anything about it, we know CA is a pittance but it also better than nothing, all the emphasis at the moment seems to be forcing carers into work, and totally ignoring those that are unable to, we are worried about our and our carees future, that is why we asking the question because we need the answers, for our health and sanity.
Charles, I am glad you that you have never said there is anything wrong with UKCarers, as your earlier post seemed to infer that the concerns voiced on this thread were not genuine concerns, as you, erroniously, assumed all the posters were from UKCarers.
Carers, whichever and however many boards they post on, are carers, we voice our concerns and our concern, at the moment, is the fact that all these rumours are flying around, which directly impinge upon our lives.
We would like some clarification and reassurance that we are not going to end up worse off than we already are, not a discussion on the differing policies between organizations.
If Carers Allowance were to be abolished and replaced with something better, no one would have a problem with it.
The problem is the not knowing.
I agree with much of what you're saying, Myrtle. But please remember that rumours are precisely that: rumours. These are sometimes put about to make it seem that things will be terrible so that when the actual announcements are made, they won't seem so bad. Mrs T. and her grey successor did that a lot, and I have no doubt that this lot do the same.

As far as my comparing policies between the two groups is concerned, there was criticism of the CUK policy and feedback, which seemed bizarre to me as the two are so similar - I was just pointing that out. I can't answer your other question because I don't know. I'm a carer member of CUK whose only role within the organisation is as a member and a moderator. Nothing more. Any comments I make about CUK are based on my personal views and experiences of the organisation and not the views of anyone at CUK. They just happen to differ from others' views and experiences.

I don't think anyone at CUK - or anywhere else at the moment - can give you what you're looking for: working groups can only make recommendations and submit proposals - the politicians and their ever-present civil servants will make the final proposals that will see the light of day. I do know that Imelda Redmond made it clear that she expects the government to deliver on its promises of more help for carers - and not one carer disagreed with her at the meeting, despite the fact that some who were there are no bigger fans of CUK than Ian, Tony and others.

Someone - I think it was Ian - suggested writing to your MP. It's a good suggestion: the more letters they receive from carers about their concerns over Carers Allowance/Carers Premium the better. It's important to target these people as they can influence policy too.

Kev, I see your point but I don't agree, I'm afraid. Yes, Carers Premium is more effective for those on Income Support, and should be increased to the full Carers Allowance level (whatever that is or will be), but there are many out there who are not fully recognised as carers by the system and their only recognition is Carers Allowance: they should still get it. The other thing that needs to change, for those carers who want to work and can do it, is the Income Support earnings limit. It should match the Carers Allowance earnings limit.
...and the Income Working Group is comprised of, which people? and they last met? and the minutes are published where? and they next meet?
...still waiting for an answer...

ian
Hi
Can I ask a question?.
How will it effect me if it's abolished when all the years I have been caring and still caring because of the overlap rule I have never received it and now because I have just become pensionable age and receive a small occupational pension I cant get the carer's premium or pension credit I am about 50p over the limit that's stops's me getting free dental care help with travel to the hospital and having to pay council tax and many other thing's.
Is that fair?.
Many more out there are like me we would like the little bit of carer's allowance that most of you get.
Pick the bones out of that.
John.
121 posts