[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Is Carers Allowance under threat? - Carers UK Forum

Is Carers Allowance under threat?

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
121 posts
Hi I have read on another site that Carers Allowance may be under threat come march Image is this true?

Does the new Carers strategy indicate the government are moving in this direction?

If this is true what will it be replaced by? Image

I'm worried about this now as C.A. is paultry enough but I don't think we could survive without both it and the Carer premium for I.S. as our utility bills are through the roof dealing with extra heating and laundry etc.

If this is going to happen we need to know sooner rather than later. Image

marie x
Yes I have heard this as well Marie and we do need to know now, and also what our so called representatives are going to do about it.
The buzz going around some advice sites and coming from LAs is that there is some move afoot to abolish CA and pay money direct to carers and use charities for assessments.

If you disagree and want the government to be forced to reveal all details of its plans then write to your MP and ask the question "is Carers Allowance to be abolished"

http://www.writetothem.com/

Use the form on that site, it tracks your email and any reply etc

all you need is your postcode and a working email addresss

ian
Hi,

Anne McGuire attended the National Carers Summit. She made no specific mention of abolishing Carer's Allowance. What she has said is that the group undertaking a review of the National Carers Strategy is looking at the fundamental principles behind Carer's allowance. She told delegates at teh Summit that time had moved on since Carer's Allowance was created and the benefits system needed to reflect this. The National Strategy is due to be published in Spring 2008.

Carers UK has a representative on the Income working group of the National strategy. We are feeding in the results of our research on carers and income, including the work we carried out in our Real Change not short change campaign. This calls for a radical overhaul of carer benefits to address three groups of carers: carers who are able to work; carers who are unable to work and carers in retirement.
Well for one if I lost carers allowance I could not survive, we only just exist now as carers, I thought the whole idea of Cuk and the PRtc was to fight for carers rights and for what we are due not get us less, you might as well tell the government to gas all carers and disabled for all the good you are doing us, things for carers are getting worse not better, the cost of living is rising drastrically and what do carers get nothing, it is time to stop pussy footing around and tell the government exactly what reall carers wants and needs are, or step aside and let us tell them.
I think it's time the members of this organisation woke up and called for the resignation of Imelda and all the trustees before it's too late.
If that means the folding of CUK -even better- because along with PRTC they are doing more harm to carers chances of any improvement than the Government is.

Wait until March and we will already have been sold down the river and this is my own opinion nothing to do with any other website or organisation.
Well for one if I lost carers allowance I could not survive, we only just exist now as carers, I thought the whole idea of Cuk and the PRtc was to fight for carers rights and for what we are due not get us less, you might as well tell the government to gas all carers and disabled for all the good you are doing us, things for carers are getting worse not better, the cost of living is rising drastrically and what do carers get nothing, it is time to stop pussy footing around and tell the government exactly what reall carers wants and needs are, or step aside and let us tell them.
Hi Tony

Gavin's reply made it clear that CUK is feeding back what "real" carers are saying (I don't personally know any other kind of carer), across three very different sets of circumstances. Nowhere in his reply did he say that CUK wants carers to get less, so where do you get the opposite idea from?
I think it's time the members of this organisation woke up and called for the resignation of Imelda and all the trustees before it's too late.
If that means the folding of CUK -even better- because along with PRTC they are doing more harm to carers chances of any improvement than the Government is.

Wait until March and we will already have been sold down the river and this is my own opinion nothing to do with any other website or organisation.
Hi Ken

Again, I don't see where you get the idea that CUK are doing damage - Gavin's reply could not have been clearer - CUK is campaigning to improve the situation of all carers and is feeding back what carers have told CUK to say. What else would you expect them to do? Anything else and they would be accused of not listening to carers!

Seems to me CUK can't do right for doing what it's supposed to do, I'm afraid.
Carers UK has a representative on the Income working group of the National strategy
...and the Income Working Group is comprised of, which people? and they last met? and the minutes are published where? and they next meet?

ian
Charles none of it is working all Cuk ever do is agree with whatever the government says and it is gone on for far to long we need change now, instead of telling us we are wrong every time we question cuk, just take a look at what is happening, every thing we encounter everyday is costing us more we can not survive. I will repeat what I said stop pussy footing around and help us, thats what the organisation is meant for, and yes I agree with Ken Imelda Redman is doing her best to damage carers get rid of her, and get some one that really wants to help our plight.
121 posts