[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
What would change your caring duties for the better? - Carers UK Forum

What would change your caring duties for the better?

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
For me,
if only my caree would agree to see the urology clinic.
My life revolves around incontinence.
CASH === EVERY PENNY THAT COMES INTO OUR HOME GOES OUT AND IT IS NOT GETTING ANY EASIER IF I HAD EXTRA CARERS ALLOWANCE I COULD SAVE FOR MY RETIREMENT I KNOW IT WONT BE MUCH BUT I COULD TAKE OUT INSURANCE / ENDOWNMENT EVEN WITH LOW INTEREST RATES I COULD PREPARE FOR MY OWN RETIREMENT
if the authorities would just believe me sometimes with issues that crop up regarding caring, instead of me having to prove things to them. What happened to "the customer is always right?"

I would love enough money to live a life with dignity, instead of having to beg for things. Last week, after four years of managing to put £10 a month away, we stayed at the Hilton Hotel, and believe me, we were treated like royalty.Just shows what money can do.The cost wasn't a fortune to most people, but we even had a grant for our train fare there. Even though I was not on duty caring for my son, I was still caring for my husband,I never ever have time off, and that must be the same for most of us on here. I love my family, and would not want to swap them, but a little more financial dignity would help me enormously.
More finanacial help here as well, I am sick of not having treats or just buying things that everyone else takes for granted like new clothes etc. I had to buy a new bra at teh weekend as I only have 2 and one fell to bits and I felt guilty for spending the £6 in Asda on one
A cure for all our carees illness.

Failing that, yes more money (as George says) so that I could possibly have a chance of saving some for my own future and so that I don't have to worry every week about lack of money.
Free incontinence pants (currently spending £73.00 a week)
A supportive family.

And lastly removal of the emotional part of my brain so that I don't feel guilty or a failure when I can't cope.
It's an echo of other posts I"m afraid...

A decent Carers allowance or the one we have already - NON means tested so at least it's of practical use! Image

I'm so grateful for the respite.
It's good to get it but while social services will pay hundreds for that bit, I'm struggling hard trying to afford even the cheapest of hotels for the 4 nights so even a little additional funds to help ME get a break too would be fantastic!

marie x
Marie,

Would you be entitled to a community care grant to help with travel and accommodation costs?

Travelodge have some good deals if you can book far enough ahead, and Shearings have some really good four night during the week and 2-3 night at the weekend dinner bed and breakfast deals. We have been at the Glenburn in Rothesay on the Isle of Bute twice on a long weekend break and it was brilliant value for money. I was returning to my roots as I was born on the Island, so doubly special for me.

Take care
Meg
Another 6 hours in the day so I can sleep and still get everything done that needs to be done. Failing that, I'd accept the Beatles song - Eight days a week! Image

Otherwise, not having to fight for everything. There isn't a service Mike has ever had that we didn't have to fight to get, and/or fight to keep, and/or fight to make it actually fit for his needs.
A decent education to help my son gain some independence for the day we will no longer be able to look after him.
Vicky
For the officaldoms to spend a week at our place and do what I do every day - and night. I want them to see how difficult it is to cope, so that they have a better understanding of what we (all) have to go through. This includes the SS, our GP, our social worker, our MP, our neighbours, our distant relatives, our friends, the hoist and wheelchair repair people.... I wish people would just understand and know what happens and the consequences of what happens when things go wrong (like a sticking hoist wheel). If all these people had a week each of things, it might make them think and treat all of us differently and have more empathy and understanding of what we are all saying and crying out for. It would mean such a lot if people just UNDERSTOOD what I was on about.