Incontinence Pads on the NHS - Help

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
I'm sure many people on the forum have had to apply for free pads but my experience so far has been disgusting.

The district nurse turned up, told me that Mum didn't drink enough to qualify for good sized pads. We had tiny pads delivered for the day time and a slightly larger one for the night.

After one day of using the "daytime pads" the carers were having to change Mums trousers and kylie pad every visit. We are now using the night time pads during the day, still Mum is soaking wet on every visit.

After asking for a re-assessment the same district nurse turned up over a week late, when I told her the pads she gave us were useless, even the nigh time pads weren't working in the day, she went on the defensive saying they were the best pads they offered.

She asked me what I wanted, I told her at least two good quality pads a day would help. She's now gone away and put in some clinical referral as Mums needs are above what they normally offer.

In the meantime we are having to pay for pads which are not cheap! I wonder if the district nurse would act like this if it was her Mother sat in a pool of wee for hours every day???
I had a similar experience, one of my carees had a stroke and was sent home with 5 adult nappys, that's barely a days worth.

Poor lady did not want to make a fuss and ordered every week from the local care supplys company, she must have spent hundreds of pounds.

Eventually someone kicked off on her behalf and were supplied to her for free.

There should be a continence nurse available in your area, referral through the G.P. sorry I am not sure But i am sure someone can advise.
Mum got her nhs repeat orders from a supply company. I would phone them to reorder. If that's the same with you, perhaps you could phone them and request a heavier duty pad. They could then phone your mum's GP to get approval. Alternatively, you could call your mum's GP surgery.

In my experience the district nurses are always encouraging you to drink more, and we all know that what goes in has to come out!!
Home bargains and Lidl do the extra pads really cheap.I think its 10 or 12 for less than a pound. You could have a look at these whilst things are getting sorted out.
Is there a food bank nearby? They might have some to give away while you do battle with the NHS service. (We were able to donate OH's unopened packets and they said they sometimes had enquiries from people who needed them.)
Good shout Dusty ... many of the larger food banks are now more like department stores ... as the main FOODBANK thread will reveal.

Here in Worksop , on our shopping list ... along with dozens of other items ... to be added once funds come in ... and additional
space is made available.

We encourage locals dropping in to tell us what they need ... added to our list or deals done with local suppliers ... a degree of
arm twisting needed there !
Stephen_16071 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:54 pm
I'm sure many people on the forum have had to apply for free pads but my experience so far has been disgusting.

The district nurse turned up, told me that Mum didn't drink enough to qualify for good sized pads. We had tiny pads delivered for the day time and a slightly larger one for the night.

After one day of using the "daytime pads" the carers were having to change Mums trousers and kylie pad every visit. We are now using the night time pads during the day, still Mum is soaking wet on every visit.

After asking for a re-assessment the same district nurse turned up over a week late, when I told her the pads she gave us were useless, even the nigh time pads weren't working in the day, she went on the defensive saying they were the best pads they offered.

She asked me what I wanted, I told her at least two good quality pads a day would help. She's now gone away and put in some clinical referral as Mums needs are above what they normally offer.

In the meantime we are having to pay for pads which are not cheap! I wonder if the district nurse would act like this if it was her Mother sat in a pool of wee for hours every day???
Bit harsh blaming the District Nurse Stephen....

As I'm sure you appreciate, a District Nurse does not decide what a healthcare trust offers and pays for and what they don't. Don't you think they are just as frustrated when they're unable to offer this to patients?

I have a family member in the same boat and only a certain type of pad is available on the NHS. Other option, as you say, is to buy you're own. Not ideal obviously but that's the way it is unfortunately.

When you say she turned up over a week late, you do realise that the DN service is massively short staffed and underfunded, don't you? As I'm sure you can appreciate, whereas its not ideal, things like this, unfortunately are low priority. The service struggles to meet the needs of people who need wounds dressed, diabetics etc which as I'd hope you will agree is quite important - people will die or be seriously ill if they're not seen to.

As you might have guessed, yes my wife is a DN so I hear it all. Believe me, when the DN turns up and gets it in the neck from patients and their families it does not help anything.
I also see it from the other side too because my Dad is elderly....

I'm sure hes not the only one but he treats the DN like complete cr@p. Moans if they don't turn up when he wants them to. Moans about this that and the other. I tell him but he doesn't listen.

Honestly now - I'm sure they are doing they're best. I think you'd be surprised how poor the pay is as well to be honest......
Wow did you just do that Paul? I tried to help and you turn it around and shout at me?

The District Nurse who turned up had no interest in the fact my Mum was sat in wet in clothes, just in and out and promises she didn't keep.and I'm still fighting for pads to keep my Mums dignity.

I'm sure your Wife is a brilliant District Nurse, now go back to complaining about your poor Dad.
It's a good job there aren't any vocal frustrated spouses of social workers, paid carers and hospital staff, and ambulance drivers contributing to this forum. Imagine how the tone would change, and not for the better either!

Us unpaid carers are at the bottom of the pecking order as it is, let's not turn on each other!