[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Income Support and Carer's Allowance. - Carers UK Forum

Income Support and Carer's Allowance.

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
I know this is a forum for Carer's but I really need some advice on behalf of my Carer who happens to be my husband and who gave up work over 10 years ago to care for me.

We are receiving DLA, Income Support both of which are in my name the only income my hubby gets in reality is Carer's Allowance, well this was the case until recently. I received a letter the other day and basically it is now pointless applying for CA if you have given up work to care as all of it is now classed as earnings and so is taken off IS it seems. Can anyone tell us if this is correct?

By doing what he does my hubby ( along with many of you) saves the state the cost of someone else coming in to care for me who would recieve at least the minimum wage while he now does this for absolutely nothing now, luckily we will have been married for 25 years on the 28th of Feb and he cares as do a lot of you not because he paid to do so but because he does not want anyone else to do it and to save me having strangers caring for me but financially we are struggling, we are looking to downsize our home and we've pulled our belts in as tight as we can but this has felt like a real blow to us both.

If anyone knows anything about this we would both appreciate any advice you could give.

Many many thanks and take care all of you.

Gill Johnson
Hello Gill Image

Sorry cant help with this. Have you tried the Advice Line ???

Take care,

Robert
Hi Robert

Thanks for your reply, I think I'll give the advice line a try as my other half is feeling very bitter and angry and I don't blame him, there are so many amazing people out there just like him who provide so much support to people like myself. I have so much respect for the Carer's of this Country it's just a shame the Government do not realise what an asset they are.

Many thanks and take care.

Gill.
The advice line gets busy but you may be able to leave a message or email. But they are likely to be best able to advise.

All the best,

Robert Image
In the past I know that it was worth applying for Carer's Allowance, even if it was taken off the Income Support amount, because it acknowledged that he was caring. In turn, this meant that there were additional "premiums" which applied - the helpline should be able to give you more advice. It's a real minefield, you might like to get a copy of the Disability Rights Handbook - linked under the New Carers section. It's a really useful book, which explains the benefits in really simple terms. You might even find that you are entitled to more than you realised, although I can't promise of course!
WE have been in the situation of applying for income support recently. From what we have worked out by piecing together snippets of information, the carer's allowance will go but we will get a carer's premium on the income support. So carer's allowance of £55ish will go & a premium of £30ish is added.

We are still waiting for written confirmation due to a complete & utter mess up by Income support (but that is another story) so this may not be the reality but all the indications lead us to think this.

If you can't get through to the advice line - I have tried more times than I care to mention without success - try citizens advice (also usually busy) or the benefits helpline who weren't as busy & may be helpful.
We get £55 per week Carer's Allowance, then they subtract £55 from our weekly Income support and finally add a carers premium of £30.

Seems like a wierd way of doing it but then i dont completely understand how they calculate what we should receive, the staff at the Jobcentre didnt seem to either so i dont feel too bad about it. Image
Do claim CA, as it gives you various underlying entitlements, including the fact that they pay your Natioal Insurance Stamp, which might impact on your pension rights.
If you can't get through to the advice line - I have tried more times than I care to mention without success - try citizens advice (also usually busy) or the benefits helpline who weren't as busy & may be helpful.
Hi Debra - if you can't get through to the Advice Line on the phone on the days they are open, do either leave a message or email - they will get back to you. Basically on the days the line is open they try to take as many calls as possible (only 2 members of staff Image ) but for the rest of the week they follow up and call back any answerphone messages and emails.
Im the same, I get a nominal amount of income support £30 I think and get £55 carers allowance, whats given with one hand is taken away with the other Image Its basically just a way to let the job centre know you dont need to sign on every week or 2 weeks whatever it is as you are unemployed but NOT searching for a job (how very dare we?) I remember going in to "sign on", I was treated like begging scum and was actually reduced to tears they made me feel so bad. Luckily there was one lady there who fully understood my situation and took over what was happening and sorted it all out, much to the disgust of the woman I had been dealing with who was heard to mutter "Hes only given up work because he thinks its an easy life"
The truth is I gave up a damned good job to care for my wife, I had no choice it had to be done.