[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Another terrible case with person with learning difficulties - Carers UK Forum

Another terrible case with person with learning difficulties

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
76 posts
There are just too many of these cases nowadays. This is from today's paper and is SO shocking. It seems there's a case like this every month. Image
That poor, poor girl what she went through and the sentences are just a joke.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -days.html
There are just too many of these cases nowadays. This is from today's paper and is SO shocking. It seems there's a case like this every month. Image
That poor, poor girl what she went through and the sentences are just a joke.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -days.html
The kids who did this were - well just kids,
Darren Hodgkinson, 18, and girls Chelsea Mills, 16, and Chelsea Williams, 14,
so what do you want to do with them, exactly? Roast their nuts over an open fire?
We live in a country of 60M people, this stuff is not exactly common. Well it isnt nice, but it isnt typical either. So I wouldnt be drawing any generalisations from it. For some reason the Daily Mail seems to want us all to return to the grand old 1950's when people with LDs were forcibly incarcerated in 3000 bed NHS hospitals, 60 to a ward. Hooray for a free press.
everyone today seems to be so right-on.

but people are people.children are outspoken often,outragous at times too.

lets not go all crazy over these stories.perspective in all things.
Sorry, Excalibur, but they are not "just kids". Old enough to marry and work, then old enough to take responsibility for your actions as an adult.

Had the victim been an old lady of 90, their sentences would have been stiffer. The level of torture in this case was sickening but there was no outcry, nothing. It barely made the news at all.

Would a longer sentence make any difference? I'm no believer in prison as an agent of reform, because they are not run that way. But frankly, what else can we do with these "kids" - let them loose to do it again?
Excalibur - you say "the kids who did this were, well, just kids".

Oh that's OK then. Image

Firstly one is an adult and the other 2 although only 14 would know that what they were doing was wrong. So serious was their crime that the Southampton newspaper overturned the court ban on naming the 2 girls.

You actually seem more intent on having a go at the Daily Mail than having any feelings at all about the girl who was terrorised. It was in all the other papers too and on the news. I've no idea why you feel the Daily Mail wants everyone "forcibly incarcerated in NHS hospitals"
Where did you get that from?

People with learning difficulties ought to be able to live in the community like all of us without being preyed on. They might need support or help and they might need neighbours who care enough just to keep an eye out for them and have a friendly chat.

As you will be aware, I have an adult daughter with learning difficulties and so these attacks on vulnerable people (and there have been plenty in the last couple of years, despite what you say) cause me much worry. We're not always going to be around and this type of thing is a major concern for us.
everyone today seems to be so right-on.

but people are people.children are outspoken often,outragous at times too.

lets not go all crazy over these stories.perspective in all things.
Maxi - what are you on tonight?

These vicious bullies physically and sexually tortured this vulnerable woman for THREE DAYS.

I'd call that a bit more than outrageous.
Couldn't agree more Penny, it really does amaze me that anyone could try and justify or down play this dreadful story.
I would lock em up for a good long time, not just for their own crime but to send a very clear message out to the rest of society's feral thugs.
Vicky
Couldn't agree more Penny, it really does amaze me that anyone could try and justify or down play this dreadful story.
I would lock em up for a good long time, not just for their own crime but to send a very clear message out to the rest of society's feral thugs.
Vicky
Mmmm lovely. We all like a bit of retribution. So how long would you send the 14 year old down for, and how do you think that might change her life in future?
Easy answer if they are under age then bring the parents forward as legal guardians and supposedly responsible.
Vicky
people may say that this are just kids, yet lets remember this is the next adults and likely to have kids themselves and teach them that they can get away lightly for things there do as kids. the message has to be sent out that no matter what age you are if you break the law you will get punished. its all to easy for kids these days..
76 posts