[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Care of the Elderly in Hospital - Carers UK Forum

Care of the Elderly in Hospital

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
Hi

I have just visited my 82 year old mum in hospital this afternoon.

She had a minor stroke in October and has been in hospital for ten weeks now. She also has mild dementia. Her short term memory is very poor. During this time she has lost much of her appetite and she has to be coaxed to eat anything. Sometimes a nurse will sit with her during her meal time and will coax her to eat.

During the past few days her appetite seemed to be returning. Today she was offered porridge for breakfast and a soft dinner of chicken and mashed potato. She refused this as well.

During my visit to see my mum I noticed that her dentures were in a container at the side of her bed. She had not had them in her mouth at all today. One of the nurses commented that mum had not eaten anything today. I told her that I was not surprised because she was not wearing her dentures. I asked that a check be carried out to see that she had her teeth in prior to meal times from now on.

I would appreciate comments regarding the above. Is this kind of thing typical in NHS hospitals.
you remind me of a small issue,off the point,maybe,or maybe not.a fellow carer had his mum in hospital for a bypass recently,all went ok,the hospital sent her home with another persons dentures.seemed a bit bad to me.
Locking this thread as duplicated here:

http://www.carersuk.org/Forums/viewtopic.php?t=14122

Will copy your post over, Maxi.