[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Ideas for a carer TV drama - Carers UK Forum

Ideas for a carer TV drama

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.

I wonder if it would take a primetime hard-hitting drama about a carer (that would have appeal to a wide audience) that somehow captures the public imagination, and provokes anger. Would that make a difference, do you think? Anyone living in/near the Gloucestershire area interested in working on some ideas for it ? I have no experience of writing drama but enjoy writing ... maybe we could do something.
It certainly is an interesting idea and something I would like to contribute to, it would need to have a slightly comic edge to it because if it is too self-deprecating people won't really enjoy it.
I like the idea too but, to be honest, I wouldn't be willing to commit to it just because of other things I'm dealing with, but it probably would make people think. Especially if it showed peoples' lives before they were carers so all the non-carers could relate to it. Got to go now but I may be back...
...okay I'm back but am out of ideas Image
I've been thinking.

Two carers.

Carer One, a woman in her early thirties cares for her child, she has just moved into the area from an affluent countryside area as her husband chucked her out as she cared about the child more she did for her husband and his business (the ex-husband is a right 'orrible git).

Carer two, a bloke in his late thirties, a bit of 'jack the lad', who cares for his dad who has the early onset of Alzheimer's. The bloke took over his dads scaffolding business after his dad got ill but tells his mates and even is colleagues that his dad has taken early retirement to spend time with his brother in Australia. When in fact his dad is living at home, the bloke would be very secretative about his dads illness as he's a ashamed of it.

The two carers would live opposite each other on the same street and not really get on but they wouldn't know what goes on behind each others doors. He would think of her as a bit of a snooty woman and she'd just think of him as a boisterous, loud mouthed slob. They'd often bump into each other in places like hospital, pharmacy, council offices and it'd be really awkward.

They'd also have similar problems: the bloke would struggle combining work and caring, they both would have financial problems and lots of other caring related problems like the joys of ringing up the CA unit Image

How does that sound?
Nice! You've been working hard.

An addition to that that might be useful is if carer two (because he keeps his caring quiet) befriends someone who later goes on to criticise carers or perhaps people on benefits (many carers included of course) not realising what carer two does. That might directly address the fact that people have misconceptions about carers. Just a thought though...

...and hence the screen play is written... Image
Nice! You've been working hard.

An addition to that that might be useful is if carer two (because he keeps his caring quiet) befriends someone who later goes on to criticise carers or perhaps people on benefits (many carers included of course) not realising what carer two does. That might directly address the fact that people have misconceptions about carers. Just a thought though...

...and hence the screen play is written... Image
Yes, some of his mates will be the type of soap boxey ones who read the The Sun or The Mirror etc and moan about people on benefits.
I was thinking it might work well if there is one character who is really lovable and you would think they'd be really sympathetic to our main characters, but then they turn out to hold the misconceptions - I think that would really challenge people because it makes things less black and white i.e. there are either bad, narrow minded people or good, sympathetic good people.
I was thinking it might work well if there is one character who is really lovable and you would think they'd be really sympathetic to our main characters, but then they turn out to hold the misconceptions - I think that would really challenge people because it makes things less black and white i.e. there are either bad, narrow minded people or good, sympathetic good people.
I was thinking that would be good for one of the womans friend from where she used to live. Her friend would visit frequently after she moved to her new house but her visits would get less and there would be less communication between her and carer 1 as carer 1's life gets more harder.
hi .chuck in some car chases and a cRAP sound track get a couple of a list stars and hollywood would lap it up Image
I was thinking that would be good for one of the womans friend from where she used to live. Her friend would visit frequently after she moved to her new house but her visits would get less and there would be less communication between her and carer 1 as carer 1's life gets more harder.
I like it. I guess one danger about the whole thing (I don't know how serious I am about this. I mean is anyone actually going to make this?) is that if the carer's lives are portrayed as too hard then it gives the audience permission to brand the carees as burdens to society, so they have to have their own stories and be very personalised so that viewers don't just think "If that was me I'd put them in a home/care centre because I wouldn't have time to care." etc. etc.

david c - I guess we could also add a large Godzilla puppet trashing a cardboard city, but then again, there is a slight chance that people wouldn't take it so seriously Image Image Image