[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
IAM SO CONFUSED - Carers UK Forum

IAM SO CONFUSED

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
Attendance allowance is a cash benefit paid to someone over the age of 65 to help with many things that will allow them to have a better standard of life if it is removed the local authority will step in and provide what?? a cash replacement or physical help via care workers .

are direct payments not a similar benefit they may as well remove D.P`S and have local authority provide the care support we need .

this is all about means tested benefits as A.A. is non means tested they want some of the "rich disabled " off benefit thats all they want to do .
DPs are a means of giving us choice - we can choose, to a certain degree what we spend it on, after the needed care package is in place, my husband has one days money to spend how he likes. At the moment he spends it on fees and lunch and transport to the local college for the day to do pottery, something he could never do at home.We have to make a small contribution, but nothing is ever free unless you're destitute!
So Dps are NOT attendance allowance, they are a solution to give us more freedom in how my hubby is cared for.
The fundamental difference between AA/DLA and DPs is that AA/DLA are paid dependent on meeting national criteria and can be spent as the recipient wishes without the need to account for the expenditure and DPs are paid dependent on local criteria based on a national framework of criteria to meet specified needs and the expenditure needs to be accounted for.
The fundamental difference between AA/DLA and DPs is that AA/DLA are paid dependent on meeting national criteria and can be spent as the recipient wishes without the need to account for the expenditure and DPs are paid dependent on local criteria based on a national framework of criteria to meet specified needs and the expenditure needs to be accounted for.
Which in turn might support my argument for root and branch reform. I know for a fact that my experience and knowledge of the complex benefits system, and my ability to self-advocate effectively, means that my family is probably doing better out of the system as a whole than many others with identical needs.

But what kind of a system should rely on "expert carers" to be able to use it for what it was intended for? The system should be simple and easy to use for everyone, especially new carers coming into this fresh.
Hang on iam more confused is the attendance allowance not in place to give the elderly disabled person more choice ? and we can decide what we want to spend it on we spend our`s on many things to benefit the elderly disabled person we were turned down D.P. and an I.B. as we have a high pension income but A.A. is non means tested and goes to both rich and poor elderly disabled .
If the local authority can replace attendance allowance with something that will benefit the elderly disabled person why cant they replace the cash payments available via D.P`S. to benefit the elderly disabled person .

as ive stated elsewhere we need the attendance allowance for many things like diet , transport / fuel, cleaning , gardners,window cleaning, medical support , emergency alarm system , insurance for disabled aids and on and on but we have got to be careful if one benefit goes it wont be long before others follow .
Hang on iam more confused is the attendance allowance not in place to give the elderly disabled person more choice ? .
Who knows? In my household we all eat together, so all the vegetables get thrown into the same soup-pot, that way nobody goes hungry: on the whole I leave the finer points of accounting to the accountants.