[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Can I claim travel expenses for appointment 200miles away. - Carers UK Forum

Can I claim travel expenses for appointment 200miles away.

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
I'm new here, so please bare with me.
As it says above. Can I claim travel and hotel costs?

I know I could contact the carers line, but I only discovered it 10mins ago and of course it isn't open again till next Wednesday.Image

My daughter has secured an appointment with the countries leading expert concerning her disability.
The problem is, it's in London and we live in Leigh (Greater Manchester) 200 miles ish away.
As the consultants latest appointment is 11.00am, we'll probably have to travel down the night before, that means London hotel costs ,probably £200 ish

I get carers allowance and simply can't afford the train fair/hotel costs for the 2 of us. Image
My wife works, so we aren't on any other benefits, but still, we simply don't have the money.
Can I get any help?
I'm not sure of the answers to this one, but have you thought of contacting the hospital to see if they can help ? If not they may be able to suggest some avenues for you to explore.
Yes, the NHS certainly can help with travel costs if you are on a low income, so phone them first before incurring any expenditure. They may even have hardship funds available. Alternatively if all else fails you could use your magic staff to call up your old pal, Gwaihir the Windlord.
my son got an appointment at stanmore bone dept in London from the north, about 200 or so miles away and they said they would send a taxi.
you need to ask the dept concerned and get a not from your GP or ask the GP secretery to phone London and make the arrangements for you. not sure which it was quite a while ago.
They also said they would pay train fare if i preferred.