[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
HOW MUCH DO WE SAVE THE STATE ???? - Page 2 - Carers UK Forum

HOW MUCH DO WE SAVE THE STATE ????

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
In my Dad's care Home, they are having difficulty employing domestic people and young care staff for weekends and evenings, and the older care staff are doing the cleaning after their own work, or between things. I have been doing some in my dad's room, as it saves them a bit.

Many youngsters don't seem to realise that support for people goes on 24/7.The agency that we use for our elder son's support also have difficulty keeping youngsters, as they want to go out at weekends.

I also think that the average wage for care staff would be a lot lower than the average annual British income, as care staff are not paid well, and most work long hours .

And some care homes are better than others. One of my aunts visited my dad a few weeks ago, and wwas vey impressed by being brought a pot of tea for two, and then when she was ready to go,a member of staff drove her to the bus stop(she is 81 and has an artificial leg, so the walk would have been a lot for her, but she was ready to do it)

I feel more as George does, that nobody is going to employ one more person just for one new resident.
I feel more as George does, that nobody is going to employ one more person just for one new resident.
Thats correct for the individual, but its not really the point. An extra 100 residents will create an extra 100 jobs, give or take. If the beds are empty for long, they will either shed staff or reduce their hours. Most private homes need to run on over 90% occupancy to be profitable - the margins are tight.

Even with 12 hour shift patterns, you still need approx 5 whole shifts (3 day shifts, 2 night shifts) to provide 24/365 care. The minimum day and night staffing ratios are dictated by the Care Standards Commission - and you can lose registration if you fall below standard.

So my 1]if one of the residents asked for toilet my god what a row NO F-ING toilets during meal times is what i heard. [/quote]

That would merit a serious complaint to the Care Standards Commission in my book. Its grossly unacceptable. I do find it quite incredible that we are still struggling with these Victorian asylum mentality staff and institutions despite all the regulations. Buyer beware - choose your home with care!
one thing i think is quite simply who would want or be forced into all these new jobs? under welfare reform policies- the workshy?the addict being forced to work or lose money?..or even carers being forced into work - not allowed to care for partner/child/whatever, but has to work caring for others? who carers for their caree then?..another of the above? viscous circle i feel, which would be filled with people who plain dont want to be working, or resentful of having the job forced on them

wouldnt it be far simpler (not to mention cheaper), to allow carers who wish to care full time to be paid a fair and comparable wage for what they do? to allow people to care for their loved ones and be able to contribute back to society , to get off support benefits and be allowed at last to feel like other members of society?
Have to agree with that Colinb, but feel that that is the ideal world and not the real selfish one that we unselfish carers have to live in!!

Pete