How do I deal with hospital discharge?

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
Penny, although I appreciate CHC funding is a postcode lottery, I can tell you that my MIL in the westcountry is a lot less 'medically bad' than your poor mum, and she still gets CHC.

BUT, she is in a care home that (a) is also a nursing home and (b) has many LA-funded residents.

So, I'm wondering whether those two factors have been 'persuasive' in terms of her getting CHC?

Also, it was the care home that organised it all and sorted it. I had to turn up for a meeting with the (very nice) NHS lady (former nurse), and go through, with one of the care home staff as well, everything that was 'wrong' with my MIL, and on the basis of that she was awarded a level of CHC (about £120 a week ) to cover the ' medical aspects' of her care.

As she is still (for the moment!) self-funding, that makes a significant difference to her finances.

The last time she was reassessed, earlier this summer, I was worried that the NHS might decide to take the CHC funding away, but the (again very nice!) NHS nurse said that funding levels would now only ever go up, not down, as she continued to deteriorate in her overall health.

I do wish you all the very best with this, but I guess my message is, you might find that your mum's care home is the best lot to 'press' for CHC funding - they 'know the drill' and also know the assessors etc, so maybe they can get your mum listened to in a way that you alone cannot??

Also, and I'm being cynical here, when a resident is LA-funded, there is far more pressure (and power!) for the LA to push the NHS into granting CHC, as that maybe reduces the bill for the LA!!! The two of them, LA and NHS, an slug it out between them as to who has to fork out the money..... ?????!!!!!!
Henrietta wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:55 am
I'd never heard of that either so googled it and found this

https://www.chshealthcare.co.uk/service ... n-service/
Yes, these are the people Henrietta. The woman was very pleasant and helpful with me so I wait to see what they will come up with. By coincidence my hubby (in the course of his work) got talking to a woman who works for them too. Apparently they ring every Care home in the county every Monday morning and again on Thursdays to see what beds are available and where.
jenny lucas wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:20 am
Penny, although I appreciate CHC funding is a postcode lottery, I can tell you that my MIL in the westcountry is a lot less 'medically bad' than your poor mum, and she still gets CHC.

BUT, she is in a care home that (a) is also a nursing home and (b) has many LA-funded residents.

So, I'm wondering whether those two factors have been 'persuasive' in terms of her getting CHC?

Also, it was the care home that organised it all and sorted it. I had to turn up for a meeting with the (very nice) NHS lady (former nurse), and go through, with one of the care home staff as well, everything that was 'wrong' with my MIL, and on the basis of that she was awarded a level of CHC (about £120 a week ) to cover the ' medical aspects' of her care.

As she is still (for the moment!) self-funding, that makes a significant difference to her finances.

The last time she was reassessed, earlier this summer, I was worried that the NHS might decide to take the CHC funding away, but the (again very nice!) NHS nurse said that funding levels would now only ever go up, not down, as she continued to deteriorate in her overall health.

I do wish you all the very best with this, but I guess my message is, you might find that your mum's care home is the best lot to 'press' for CHC funding - they 'know the drill' and also know the assessors etc, so maybe they can get your mum listened to in a way that you alone cannot??

Also, and I'm being cynical here, when a resident is LA-funded, there is far more pressure (and power!) for the LA to push the NHS into granting CHC, as that maybe reduces the bill for the LA!!! The two of them, LA and NHS, an slug it out between them as to who has to fork out the money..... ?????!!!!!!
Thanks Jenny. As I understand it NHS Funded Continuing Care is different to NHS Nursing Contribution.

The nursing home that I have already put Mums name down for explain about this in their booklet and they help people apply for it.

It looks like I have a lot of reading still to do.
For anyone interested, a quick check at Companies House shows CHS Healthcare to be a multi million £ business, privately owned and part of a whole group
I'd ask who is paying them?
IMHO They would be more likely to act in favour of who is paying them than the person in need of care
For anyone interested, a quick check at Companies House shows CHS Healthcare to be a multi million £ business, privately owned and part of a whole group
I'd ask who is paying them?
IMHO They would be more likely to act in favour of who is paying them than the person in need of care

We provided dedicated hospital discharge management services and are the UK’s largest independent providers in this field. Our hospital discharge services are proven to significantly reduce delays to discharge and a university report has recently shown our work produces a 356 per cent Return on Investment for the NHS.

Google search also reveals a connection to CARE HOME HELECTION CO.LTD. ... web spelling , not mine.

My initial suspicion confirmed ... a sort of " Clearing house ".

Homes connected to them through whatever ways ???

Oh dear !

Would also be somewhat ironic if said entity were a private limited company by guarantee and also registered as a " Charity " ?

Perhaps stretching the charity element a little far in the absence of known facts but .... does beg the obvious question as to who actually benefits by their place in the marketplace ?

Rest assured that they would not be operation if no monies were to be made ... from someone !

If searching for further information , be wary of several other operators in this field with similar names !
I'm reading all your replies. They are based in NHS hospitals and are funded by the NHS. Surely the NHS know what they're doing when they took them on? It's either do it myself (and I've already looked at loads) or the NHS tell me to use them. They say as mum is self funding it's nothing to do with social services. I am worn out after months of stress and worry so if they're there to help me and it's not costing me anything that's Ok with me. What would other people do?

The NHS leaflet my hospital provided says "by working alongside Trust staff the service provided by CHS will help in assisting the Trust in reducing delays in discharging patients."
Yes ... that is a dilema .... the NHS ( owned by the taxpayers ) recommending a private emterprise .... ?

Be sure to explore ALL options as choice may be limited to ones connected to that private enterprise and , by definition , may not be the correct solution.

After all , a private enterprise gains nothing for recommending one without some form of reward ?

Age Concern may be of help , provided , of course , they are truly independent of outside influences.
Chris From The Gulag wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:13 pm
Yes ... that is a dilema .... the NHS ( owned by the taxpayers ) recommending a private emterprise .... ?

Be sure to explore ALL options as choice may be limited to ones connected to that private enterprise and , by definition , may not be the correct solution.

After all , a private enterprise gains nothing for recommending one without some form of reward ?

Age Concern may be of help , provided , of course , they are truly independent of outside influences.
I do know they include ALL Care/nursing homes in their search.

The NHS already uses private companies. For example our largest regional hospital has no kitchens and buys in all meals which are transported about 50 miles every day and just reheated on the wards. Crazy but true.
Charities and business don't mesh ... there is always a clash of interests as each has separate priorities.

Same can be said of the NHS and the use of outside private enterprises ... said enterprises would not fill a need if there wasn't some form of reward , usually profit.

However , there is nothing to stop both chaities and the NHS operating more on a business footing in respect of resources , manpower , capital assets .... through efficiency rather than age old practices ... and , at the same time , deliver what they are expected to deliver.

Endless chains of management and use of committees does nobody any service . or assist those operating in the front line.

Note to the unions like Unison on restrictive practices by agreement , some decades old , as well.
Penny, you know you cannot cope with mum long term, especially with her declining health. So you have to take the NHS route.
HOWEVER they cannot ignore the Human Rights Act and the right to a normal family life. This crops up somewhere in the Continuing Healthcare Framework. So you need to be firm with them that it MUST be a placement near you, within easy travelling distance.
If they say mum can move closer when a vacancy arrives, don't believe them, mum doesn't need to be moved and moved again. I'm sure this is in the CHC Framework as well.