[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Home alterations - Carers UK Forum

Home alterations

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
HI there
We are looking at the future and Bob will only get worse with his condition and end up totally wheelchair bound. We currently live in a 3 storey town house and are looking at either moving to a bungalow( if we can sell this house and not lose money) or getting an extention done. We would need two beds downstairs as my mum is with us too and has mobility problems which are getting worse.
I was just wondering if any of you have had this dilemma and if so what did you do,thanks for any thoughts!

Li x
HI there
We are looking at the future and Bob will only get worse with his condition and end up totally wheelchair bound. We currently live in a 3 storey town house and are looking at either moving to a bungalow( if we can sell this house and not lose money) or getting an extention done. We would need two beds downstairs as my mum is with us too and has mobility problems which are getting worse.
I was just wondering if any of you have had this dilemma and if so what did you do,thanks for any thoughts!

Li x
Have an informal chat with your local planning dep you should find the contact info on your council site If you need a hand with planning pm me
Check your local district council website out first, you may be entitled to a Disabled Facilities Grant, a means-tested grant which may pay all or something towards the cost.
We had to sell our home as social services put us under presure re STANS care they said it was unsafe for STAN to remain within our home ( which it was ) they said if we did not find suitable low level housing they would have to look at STAN going into care / rest home for his own safety after about 1 year we did move to ground floor flat rented £600 per month made no profit from sale of house at all we then needed adaptations for the flat which we had to pay for apart from the temp wheelchair ramp when social services organised a permament ramp for the front door they again said that we had to pay £2-100 for a ramp no way we did get eventualy a hospital tilting bed and a hoist "free" the hoist was useless but the bed was a big help for me all of this upheavel for STAN and he only lived in the flat for 14 months he would have been better off in our own home .
We as i have said made no profit from sale of house and we then found ourselves thats me and the old doll without STANS income but a massive rent which had just been increased to £675 per month social services put us under so much presure we would never ever allow them to get involved with us again
Have not had the dilemna really, but we did install a stair lift so my OH could get upstairs.

Suggest you find a builder or two and discuss what you might want done. Then get an appraisal from an estate agent or two for ypur home as it is now and how much the value would change with an extension. It might help you to decide on the best course of action.

Thanks for all your replies- its so hard as I do love the house but its an old victorian house so it will be a challenge do get it all adapted but it is detached- we did use the local authority for my mum when we got a grant to pay for her downstairs wet room- we had no idea then that my hubby was gonna get ill too- Image
If you already have the wet room, think about an extension so that possibly the room could be shared, or have a back to back ensuite for your husband. As the plumbing is already there, it should cut down on the cost. As my Husband's MS has progressed, we had a downstairs ensuite with wet room built through social services, we had to contribute in the form of a "claim" on our house, which means, if we sell, we give the council £16,000. It would be means tested, but you don't have the hassle of finding a builder yourself.