[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Hobbies - Page 3 - Carers UK Forum

Hobbies

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
models 2 017.JPG
models 2 017.JPG (68.14 KiB) Viewed 3604 times
hi ,here is another one of my models ,icm 1/48 p51d .as you can see i don't bother with pre shading the panel lines .
any more models mark ?
sorry may be a silly question, but how do you make these models?
I have my 2 dogs, but I get so little time off from caring that they don't get walked every day (which kills me TBH - but mum can't be left on her own).

We do have a weekly appointment, an hour's 1-1 agility session one a week where my younger dog can do some "work" and even my elderly one likes to join in. It's a poor compromise though, for being able to go out on daily walks.

Several months ago I was driving down a remote country lane and spotted a pet rabbit in a field. I parked up (after turning round in a layby full of fly tipping) and called it - the bunny came running to me. I called the nearest rescue centre but they were closed, so I had no option but to drive home with him and he's been here ever since.

I used to breed & show rabbits in my teens, and while I don't want to get THAT involved again (too many unwanted rabbits in rescue) I've taken Mum to a few local rabbit shows, which I've enjoyed but she hasn't.

I'm beginning to think that yes, a home-based hobby is what I need, as mum is housebound most of the time and I have to be here for her, apart from my 18hrs respite time per week. Which isn't nearly enough.
BlueBonBon wrote:sorry may be a silly question, but how do you make these models?
hi ,here is a youtube clip showing someone building a model kit ,it is a bit long ,17 min.
but it should answer all your questions .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwWPOYeRhQ4
My hobby is portrait photography and i am constantly learning new techniques....
DSLR cameras are so versatile and allow good photos for beginners and more advanced.
Took this photo at one classes i went to with a proffesional model

Attachments

My hobbies include
  • Playing Darts and Pool, Singing , Reading, Swimming, Going To The Theatre/Cinema When Funds Allow, Dancing and Listening To Music
My main hobby used to be my pony, however with the goings on of the last few years he's morphed into an expensive field ornament. He's happy though.
Other things I enjoy are reading, video games (like Civilization), jewellery making, photography, and I'm trying to get into sewing now (clothes, crafts etc).
I'm also trying to persaude myself to develop cooking as a hobby, but that leads to an increase on one of my most hated chores (the dishes!)
Nenuphar - two thoughts -

As a 'home based hobby', would running some kind of informal animal rescue centre be possible for you? If you got in touch with some established ones, you might find they would be glad of an 'overspill' home to pass on excess animals they receive, but can't care for in their overcrowded space? Sometimes, I believe, rescue animals are 'fostered' at supporters' homes, until permanent homes can be found for them?

Also, you say you can't now take your dogs our for walks because of your care responsibilities for your mother. Is there any chance do you think of taking your mum with you in a wheelchair? I receently borrowed a wheelie from my local St John's (free, apart from a £20 deposit, and it's ours indefinitely!) and it's been great - I can now take 90 y/o MIL (who can walk, but hardly 'go for a walk'!) to local National Trust properties, and wheel her around the gardens (most places are wheelie-friendly these days, with ramps etc), which gives her an outing and me some exercise (uphill on ramps is definitely exercise!). Most NT properties are fine with dogs outdoors (possibly on a leash on paths?) and are obviously lovely places to be in!

Anyway, just a thought, and of course it could be your mother is bedbound?

(I wouldn't worry too much about her 'not enjoying' outings - just take her anyway without giving her a choice in the matter - your life counts as well, you know! You're her carer, not her slave.... (!!!!)) Tell her the doctor says she has to have outings and get fresh air!). Make a wheelie walk part of your everyday routine with her, and be brisk and cheerful and no nonsense about going out every day!

PS - about the rabbit you found - surely it must belong to someone (though maybe it was unwanted???)(horrible if so, as I doubt it would have lasted long with foxes and weasels about etc!).....have you asked at the local vets? Isn't that where owners report missing animals in the hope that someone will turn up with them?
Home brewing mostly types of beer but also cider and wines. Reading mostly history, archaeology and law. Alsi involved in environment.
jenny lucas wrote: (I wouldn't worry too much about her 'not enjoying' outings - just take her anyway without giving her a choice in the matter - your life counts as well, you know! You're her carer, not her slave.... (!!!!))
---
PS - about the rabbit you found - surely it must belong to someone (though maybe it was unwanted???)
An old thread, but only just caught up on it. The bunny was dumped, no doubt about it. I got in touch with vets in the area but he wasn't claimed.

Mmm.... "enjoying outings" she doesn't at the time and is always very needy, "slave" is a good word. But I've persevered, and we do go to rabbit shows occasionally, although she is hard work when we are there and always - for some odd reason - she thinks we got there by train and keeps asking what time the train home is. She is is a folding wheelchair now which helps a lot.

I offered to foster rescued rabbits but was turned down because I have one dog who is a serious threat, and with rescues we wouldn't have the occasional day out at a show. Which are social events, usually in a village hall, lunch can be booked where everyone sits down at long tables.

I'm working on dividing the garden to create a dog-free zone, but it's taking time as I don't have any help and limited funds. I did buy myself a dirty great f-off boys-toys hammer drill last week, looks like a serious weapon & eats concrete, so I'm slowly getting to grips with building a proper fence, and have started to clear the back garden. Front garden is still a mess. I need to get a gardener in!