[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Carers need to care for themsleves first! - Carers UK Forum

Carers need to care for themsleves first!

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
Us carers often forget about our own health when we're busy caring for others, but for us to be able to carry on caring, we need to be healthy and fit.

what advice would you give to other carers in regards to looking after themselves?

also I found this site that gives advice and support relating to weight loss and stopping smoking which might be useful to some

http://bit.ly/pZLvMp Image
Get a dog.
1. company for the caree.
2. Exercise for the carer.
3. Fresh air.
4. Gets you out of the house. Time on your own.

#must go and walk the dog. don't care if it is raining.#
Keep smiling - it is very hard at times but it makes you feel good inside and out and if you feel good about yourself then you will make the person you are caring for feel happy. Easy said than done I know... but its worth a try Image Image

Take care of yourselves everyone its very important that you do.
Dogs cost a fortune: my advice is plenty of swimming, cycling and walking. Dump the car, cycle instead. Oh, and if you are so inclined, sex burns a few calories, consider the health benefits of bonking Image .
Hello as a carer I would urge carers to try and have reflexology/ massage. etc say every 3 weeks. At least its a date you the carer can look forward to. regards amandah
The dog is cheaper than my old man, Cofte costs me £7.85 in pet insurance/month plus about £10 in food, mainly because he eats leftovers Image he's the best dishwasher I ever had.

and burning calories bonking... yeah we do that too.
Hi we are owned by two small dogs, and there is no way I would give them up for the world. We adore them.Having no children they mean the world to us. I walk them and will never be out a dog in my life. Regards amandah
Dogs can be expensive but so can other things like hobbies, ciggies, booze etc. We all have the right as to how we spend our own money and for many people spending it on pets brings us a lot of happiness.

You have to get out and take a dog for a walk every day and it's a break from caring, some fresh air and for some people it's a chance to chat to other dog owners.

I'd also recommend the regular massage treatments for yourself. Just relax and empty your mind.
Dogs can be expensive but so can other things like hobbies, ciggies, booze etc. We all have the right as to how we spend our own money and for many people spending it on pets brings us a lot of happiness.

You have to get out and take a dog for a walk every day and it's a break from caring, some fresh air and for some people it's a chance to chat to other dog owners.
I don't smoke I don't drink, Mark ocassionally has a glass of cider, Cofte keeps us sane and relatively healthy Image
...consider the health benefits of bonking Image .
Who says romance is dead? Image

As for the main question...
I think just having some time to have some kind of break and get some perspective. I think it's easy to work ourselves into the ground when we never stop to step back to look at the bigger picture. If I can get a break and time to regroup, I am better equipped to maintain a healthy balance in life and not get too stuck into caring and nothing else.