[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Have you claimed the new Carer's Credit? - Page 2 - Carers UK Forum

Have you claimed the new Carer's Credit?

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
Have been in touch today by phone to CA unit to be told that the information previously given was incorrect as none of the staff fully understood the rules.

Pack being sent out for me to apply for Carers Credit which will be backdated to the start of the scheme.

Helpful heads up from the CA unit clerk as there are further amendments due to pension entitlement for carers coming into being soon, so it could all change again!

Take care
Meg
Hi Meg,

Bluebird - very happy to help Image If you're worried about what your State Pension is going to look like you can always ask for a State Pension 'forecast' by ringing 0845 3000 168
Image Image No way do I want to scare myself by seeing what my State Pension will be, I'd rather live in ignorance Image Image
Hi Meg,

Bluebird - very happy to help Image If you're worried about what your State Pension is going to look like you can always ask for a State Pension 'forecast' by ringing 0845 3000 168
Image Image No way do I want to scare myself by seeing what my State Pension will be, I'd rather live in ignorance Image Image
when I did mine some years back it was a lot better than I thought it was going to be
With not being on income support or having a child under 12 I have just phoned the helpline and they are sending me a claim pack out, I still dont really understand what it means being blonde lol
I was told as i have the allowance now i dont need to claim , it will all be done automatically for me ,, but they have told you they will send a claim pack whats going on ....do i have to claim or not ... monday morning on the phone again.....
we need some good advice ... it is a weekly carers credit and from what i can see if the person you care for is in say hospital or respite or even away on holiday without you , you will LOSE that one weeks credit... what a farce the whole thing is == bet you Gordon Brown planned, this looks like his kind of over complicated work.....

in someones post i noticed the word BACKDATED under new rules you can now only backdate claims for one month ....
PLEASE BE CAREFULL WHEN CLAIMING THE CARERS CREDIT ...
IT LOOKS AS THOUGH YOU ONLY NEED TO BE A CARER FOR 20 HOURS PER WEEK TO CLAIM THE CARERS CREDIT ,,,

BUT TO CLAIM THE CARERS ALLOWANCE IT IS STILL 35 HOURS PER WEEK --- IT MAY BE ME BEING A WEE BIT PARANOID , BUT IF YOU CLAIM THE CARERS CREDIT AND INFORM THE D.W.&.P. THAT YOU ARE A CARER FOR JUST 20 HOURS PER WEEK ... AND THEN GO ON TO CLAIM THE CARERS ALLOWANCE WILL YOU BE IN CONFLICT WITH YOUR PREVIOUS STATEMENTS..

IS IT 20 OR 35 YOU TELL ME .....
Carer’s Credit is available (from 6 April 2010) to people who provide care for one or more disabled person(s) for a total of 20 hours or more each week, where they do not currently receive Carer’s Allowance.

The credit will help to protect an individual’s National Insurance record to ensure there are no gaps from having to undertake caring responsibilities.

There are two qualifying routes to be able to get Carer’s Credit, either through the disabled person being entitled to a qualifying benefit (the majority of applications) or through a certification route (Care Certificate).

When is certification required?
A Care Certificate is required when an application is made for Carer’s Credit but the person(s) being cared for is not in receipt of one of the qualifying benefits. The qualifying benefits are the middle or highest rate of the care component of Disability Living Allowance or any rate of Attendance Allowance or Constant Attendance Allowance.

Where the person(s) being cared for is not entitled to one of these benefits the Carer’s Credit applicant will be asked to provide a certificate signed by an appropriate health or social care professional as certifier in support of their application for Carer’s Credit. A General Practitioner (GP) or someone employed directly by a GP should not normally be the first choice, because this is not within their contract.
Credits for parents and carers

You may get credits if you are caring for someone.

You may get credits if you are:

•getting Child Benefit for a child under 12

•a registered foster carer

•caring for one or more sick or disabled people for at least 20 hours a week
This entitles you to basic and additional State Pension. The credits are also worthwhile if you are self employed or you have low earnings because they help you build up additional State Pension.

You do not normally need to take any action if you are already claiming:

•Carer's Allowance *******
•Child Benefit for a child under 12
•Income Support and you are regularly and substantially engaged in caring

Otherwise, you need to apply for credits from 6 April 2010.

this information states that if you have carers allowance you need do nothing at all which is what i was told .. hey ho

See ‘State Pensions for parents’ to find out more about credits for parents.
I will fill in the claim form when it comes as I would rather have filled in a form un-necessarily than lose out contributions towards my pension from failing to do so.

If the staff are admitting they didn`t understand the rules what hope do we plebs have i wonder?

Hope everyone gets sorted soon.

Take care
Meg