[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Who Dares Wins. - Carers UK Forum

Who Dares Wins.

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
In the immortakl words of Del Boy Trotter,"He who Dares Wins" with regards to the SAS,as its based on their noble motto.

Well DARING to say what Im going to,and wrisking the slings and arrows of responces,as Im up for being honest,I think I am utterly fed-upwith evermore demanding calls on public funds.Everyone so right saying THEIR need beats the other fellows need.

There is a finite amount of money in the public purse,to be shared-out.

Fact of Life.Yes,theres many good cases for helping this or that group.

BUT,even before ecconomic hell hit us we needed to be sensible,now,tis essential to see,there are limits.
Whilst I agree with you in part, Maxi, it's about priorities. I have a problem with MPs on a lot more than the national average wage telling carers they are asking for too much when they want a decent rise in CA.

Smacks of the Beadle and Oliver Twist to me.

The priority should be to deal with poverty. Cut spending by all means, but in the right places. Starting with preventing even more reorganisations. The NHS has gone through 5 reorganisations in the last 12-13 years, with more promised. Each one costs huge amounts of money and for what? Has anyone truly seen an improvement in patient care?
I could not agree more Charles47.MPs hollow hand-ringing when others struggle sickens me.
The iinevitable cuts comming will be meated-out by politicians insulated from the poverty cuts create.Can this EVER be right?.
My concern is that universal cuts in spending and increases in taxes, VAT for example, would have a greater impact on those on low incomes than on those who are better off, I am hoping that the government will consider this impact and choose cuts and increases which do not disproportionately disadvantage the worst off in society.
increasing VAT is a universal tax increase on consumption.Increasing income tax is a levy on ones sweatted labour,ones toil,a dissincentive.
Governments never distribute the burden of income tax fairly,lest we forget,a LABOUR,YES,LBOUR,GOVERNMENT,brought in the now infamous,10p tax rate.

low income earners,working carers,who get s**d-all else from the system,anyway,were rightly vexed and,"Screwed" by Brown on that one.

That was a LABOUR move.

So,as governments cant or wont deliver a fair income tax system,a consumption tax,universally applied,is the best of a bad job.

IF there was a working carers tax credit,or,if there was a higher level for low earners before they come into income tax,then it might be a different story.The new government has it as an "aspiration" to "Move Towards" such a cioncept for the lower paid.UNTILL that becomes more than an "Aspiration" a higher-rates Sales Tax (Vat) is a (by-no-means-equittable) a taxe apllied to all.

In the absence of a fair tax system,that is an evil less than higher income tax,in my view.

Taxing low-paid and part-time worker on earnings at high rates causes poverty,destroys the incentive to work.LEST WE FORGET ANOTHER SMALL FACT OF LIFE,MONEY TO FUND BENIFITS,SERVICES ETC ETC ETC COMES FROM TAXES.,OR FROM BORROWING,AND WE NOW SEE WHERE THAT ORGY OF EXCESS HAS TAKEN US,YES UNCOMFORTABLE IT IS,BUT IF WORK DOES NOT PAY,WHY WORK?.
when they, thats the conservatives talk of "poor families" who will need help with child benefit, they class poor as someone who earns £25-000 per year and they will continue to receive help from the child benefit system, but when it comes to means tested benefits like pension credit and council tax / housing benefit, they class you as "rich" if you earn about £130 per week ......

VAT

Michael Portillo said that most of the stuff people on low incomes buy is zero rated for vat anyway.Oona King responded by pointing out "Man or Woman does not live by bread alone".Well she never used those words,I just did,quoting them from a much wizer mind,but her point amounted to the same thing.She noted households need other stuff,so,its NOT true to assert VAT increases,if they come,will not affect low income households.They WILL impact on EVERY home.

This exchange was on "This Week" last night.

I remain,of the view,as income tax needs mighty reform,and its going to take years to get there,all thats left IS Vat,a direct consumption (Sales) tax.Yes,hits everyone.Rich or poor.

Portillo did make the point any increase can be offset by ajustments to benifits to compensate.

"Mmmm",maybe?.Poverty,social division is rife.