[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Has caring affected your diet? - Page 3 - Carers UK Forum

Has caring affected your diet?

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
Now I've realised that I've given up dressmaking altogether
Me too. I used to do dressmaking too (I made my own wedding dress - size 12 then), but I dont now either, although some of this is due to lack of time. I used to be one of these women who could eat chips with mayonnaise and not put on any weight and I was back in my (size 12) jeans 6 weeks after giving birth. Image
Now Im a size 18. Not too bad as Im 6ft tall, but several stone heavier than I was - due to all the snacking since Ive been caring.
Snap! Also used to do dressmaking.
I have a adjustable tailors dummy in the loft and it now won't adjust sufficiently!! Image
Weight is an issue for me too, I've being following the slimming world plan for over a year and managed to lose 10lbs, but I've hit a bit of a wall in the last few months. My medication makes it difficult to lose weight quickly but I think the main problem is lack of exercise. My husband works away during the week so it's hard to get out. I was hoping to do some walking while my daughter is home from Uni, but it's been far too hot!
I've been caring for my Dad since my Mum passed away a little over 8 years ago. She passed away on April 11th. Every April 11th since, I have got on the scales, and every year another stone has crept up on me. My GP laughed when I told him and said - or in words to this effect "so because you're Mother died, you've put on weight" - as if I was a half-witted idiot who was making such a ridiculous statement that I thought he might think of sectioning me!

I have a split personality reaction to it - half the time I'm as miserable as sin, the other half of the time I couldn't care less because I'm a nobody now - no work, no social life, bad health, so who cares?

From someone who jetted around the world both professionally and personally, had a reasonable disposable income, a challenging and satisfying job, lots of friends across the globe, with a post grad degree, my own property, etc. etc. I'm just a fat nobody now. I probably could make an effort to lose some weight - but quite frankly, I feel I've got such a miserable bloody existence, that I really can't be bothered.
I have a split personality reaction to it - half the time I'm as miserable as sin, the other half of the time I couldn't care less because I'm a nobody now - no work, no social life, bad health, so who cares?

From someone who jetted around the world both professionally and personally, had a reasonable disposable income, a challenging and satisfying job, lots of friends across the globe, with a post grad degree, my own property, etc. etc. I'm just a fat nobody now. I probably could make an effort to lose some weight - but quite frankly, I feel I've got such a miserable bloody existence, that I really can't be bothered.
That just about sums up how I feel too xx
lol Bluebird - you're right, we're following each other around saying the same things!
I am yet another carer who has put on weight, again due to comfort eating, though as I am out walking the dogs or supporting/pushing my daughter for several hours daily, its not as bad as it might be. There are other issues as well though. I can't afford to run a car and so can only buy what I can carry. This means we are mainly forced to buy from our local shops, so it's a limited range and difficult to be enthusiastic about. I also don't have much energy to put into cooking. It doesn't help that my two carees have ASD, and both have rigid and restricted (different) diets. Any energy that I do have to put to healthy eating and weight loss is going to have to be used on my daughter, who has had her natural tendency to chose fatty and sweet foods encouraged for years - as she was always underweight - but who is now quite overweight. It is going to be a struggle!
Different view point and maybe not relevant, but since I stopped caring I'm piling it on and my body shape is changing very strangely. I have stopped eating quite so much (needed to eat loads whilst caring, to keep up energy levels), but lack of physical activity and all the running around etc is taking its toll. Salads and salmon and tuna, just aren't cutting it.
For me if I'd had a difficult day I'd resort to phoning for a takeaway to be delivered and I was putting on weight which made for more difficult days.

More recently I have discovered packed salads which are quite cheap and very filling so I've been ordering these with my online shopping and grabbing some when I get out. I also order fresh fish and more fruit and those large bio pot yoghurts.

As a result I've been losing weight and feeling better.

Scruffy x
Thanks again for the replies. I totally understand this is a difficult subject, so apologies for asking but we wondered if anyone would be willing to go public on this issue? We're looking for carers who are willing to be media case studies to talk about caring and diet? At the moment it's for a print magazine feature. Totally understand this won't be for everyone.

But if you are interested please email maggie.stratton@carersuk.org and she'll let you know more details.

Thanks

matt