[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Has a head count been done of how many... - Carers UK Forum

Has a head count been done of how many...

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
carers there are who's only income is CA. People who are not entitled to any other benefits because, eg, they have a spouse who is working .
This, along with the elder Carers who lose C.A. on pension age, is another scandal which our government still choose to ignore. Image

marie x
I don't think there would be. Can't imagine government collecting it. What I mean is there shouldn't be anyone who's only income is CA. Becasue if they are married or co-habiting they are counted as having joint income, in other words if you are part of a copuple you are not counted as having your own personal income, for either tax or benefits. Anyone who is single person who just gets CA would also get income support. But we know how many people get CA and we know how many of those get income support.

I could be wrong though. My colleague Kate might know but she's away at a meeting. I'll ask her when she's next in.

Matt
Matt you said that you don't think there is anyone whose only income is carers allowance.

My husband's only income is carers allowance - he gets nothing else and no help with prescriptions glasses etc and no council tax benefit etc

My only income is DLA and carers allowance so there are people whose income is only carers allowance.

I get CA for caring for my son and my husband gets CA for caring for me.

Regards

Eun
What I mean is that government count household income, so a husband and wicves income is counted as joint.

If there is only CA coming in then that person needs to get an urgent benefits check as CA is less than the Income Support amount the government says you should have to live on. So you should get Income Support and Carer premium.
I am a single person Matt who only gets CA and no Income Support or other benefits and discounts from council tax, dentist etc.

Bluebird
I get C.A and the child tax credit so i get a nice £200 a week,, £100 on rent the rest on food, gas and electric. DLA pays for hospital travel and sometimes i get my travel from the matty,, and me and amy blow DLA in wilkinsons . he pays all the other bills, the big food shop and funds his racing with his over time.

BUT i have heard of people not being entitled to I.S because of a partners earnings,, and i dont think thats right, if u dont get any tax credits then how is the CA enough?
I am a single person Matt who only gets CA and no Income Support or other benefits and discounts from council tax, dentist etc.

Bluebird
Hi Bluebird, If you have no other income or savings at all, then you should be getting Income Support. The government says the minimum a single person should have to live on is £60.50 and an extra £27.75 if you are a carer. Likewise Eun you should get a benefits check - if your only income is one lot of DLA and 2 lots of CA then you should be entitled to IS.

These things can be affected by things like savings and investments but it remains the law that no one should have to live on a CA of £50 alone.

It is always worth having a benefits check done if you haven't had one. You can call our CarersLine tomorrow from 10-12 and 2-4 on 0808 808 7777

Matt
My only income is carers allowance £50 per week i get no other benefit help at all apart from the 25% discount on council tax the reason being is that i have had to retire early and have MY OWN PRIVATE PENSION WHICH IS BEING USED TO SUBSIDISE THE OLD DOLLS CARE MY PENSION SHOULD BE FOR ME TO LIVE ON AND SAVE VIA INSURANCE FOR MY OWN RETIREMENT .
MY PENSION SHOULD NOT BE CLASSED AS "INCOME" AND SHOULD BE DISREGARDED THAT WOULD ENABLE ME TO CLAIM I.S. COUNCIL TAX BENEFIT & HOUSING BENEFIT AT THE MOMENT MY RENT IS £160 PER MONTH COUNCIL TAX £25 PER MONTH MY PRESCRIPTION CHARGES £21 PER MONTH DENTAL / OPTICAL ON AVRAGE ABOUT £30 PER MONTH ==== MY WHOLE CARERS ALLOWANCE HAS JUST GONE BEFORE MY VERY EYES THEREFORE I JUST SURVIVE ON MY PRIVATE PENSION I AINT VERY HAPPY Image
Matt our income is my sons IB and DLA, my DLA and CA and my husbands CA.

We get no help because we are over the savings limit.

If however we had gone out every night of the week and p*ssed the money away we would probably get all the help going.

We have to keep the savings for things like replacing my electric mobility scooter which packed up last august and other items to do with our disabilities.

Regards

Eun