Carers Assessment (?)

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
Hi all,
Just a question..
What exactly does a cares assessment entail?
Earlier on in the year the OT visited, arranged some helpful gadgets for OH and asked if I would like a carers assessment. I said no as I hadn't a clue what it was, I think I was also in denial about being a carer and didn't think we needed any more help really.
I just wondered what an assessment is designed for, the purpose of it, am I being a bit thick? Image
Also, should my GP know that I'm a carer? OH and I are at the same surgery, but not sure if they will see the link.
Thanks
xx
i've just had my carers assessment,they discuss if you need any help,go through what you do day to day,a benefits check and ask if you want anything for yourself ie hobbies or something to enable you to do you own thing up to the value of £200.i got a tv for the bedroom(downstairs 1) so i can go and do the gardening and the wife can watch that tv and i can see her and she can see me,without having to come in every 10mins,last year i got a camera to record memories because of the alzheimers
My carers assessment was more from the point of setting up emergency careplans for my carees should anything happen to me.

Pleased some councils offer grants for practical things.

Take care
Meg
meg,last year the emergency care plan was sorted and i got my carers alert card,this years was more of a run through of did i need any practical advice,any tips and a confidence boost,i think they vary from council to council,i think i'm lucky i'm in n e lincolnshire after hearing of other peoples experiences
Our carers assessment was worse than useless. We have been marked down as "unmet need" because theSW dept claim they have no money. You have the right to an assessment but no right to have what you have been assessed as needing - what a pointless waste of time and energy.

Eun
I had a carer's assessment three years ago when my mother first came out of hospital and I was struggling to cope with no support. I was told that the council couldn't offer me anything at all - no services, not even advice about care agencies or respite - because mother was over the financial threshold and therefore self-funding. Three years on, I still have no support so am going to request another assessment in January.

Don't let that put you off though sturdygirl - not all councils are the same. Sounds like malc had a much more positive experience. Check out your council's website - there may be information on it about what they'll discuss with you during the assessment. Have a good think about what you want to get out of it and take some notes with you to the appointment if that would help. Best of luck - hope they can do something to help you. Keep us updated.

Jo
I had a good result from my carers assessment. Respite sits sorted for hubby twice a week so I can get out and a grant towards paying for a massage once a month.

I think its a good idea to look here
http://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advice ... assessment

it will give you an idea of what to expect. I made notes on each section so I had an answer when the SW asked me (but I am a bit of a geek)

It might be worth mentioning to Drs you are our hubbys carer (they don't always put 2 & 2 together)

Good Luck
Well,
It sounds like there are alot of variations between councils Image
I'll take a look at the local website and decide what to do from there
Booksey, thanks for the link, a massage sounds heavenly!
Thanks for all the replies
Take care
xx
I had a carer's assessment three years ago when my mother first came out of hospital and I was struggling to cope with no support. I was told that the council couldn't offer me anything at all - no services, not even advice about care agencies or respite - because mother was over the financial threshold and therefore self-funding. Three years on, I still have no support so am going to request another assessment in January.

Don't let that put you off though sturdygirl - not all councils are the same. Sounds like malc had a much more positive experience. Check out your council's website - there may be information on it about what they'll discuss with you during the assessment. Have a good think about what you want to get out of it and take some notes with you to the appointment if that would help. Best of luck - hope they can do something to help you. Keep us updated.

Jo
Maglinty, the government has made it clear that advice and support should now be available to people who are self-funding, so you shouldn't hit that problem this time round.
It might be worth mentioning to Drs you are your hubbys carer (they don't always put 2 & 2 together)
Do tell your surgery - Doctors are now supposed to have this information so that they know how best to support you - preferrential appointment times for yourself; flu jabs; health check etc, etc.

Both my own, and my Mum's GP have me down as being a Carer - it makes it much easier to get appointments for myself at a convenient time and, in the case of Mum's GP, there's never any problems with me attending consultations with her.