Excalibur - wise words. You have a good, comprehensive grasp of the situation and have filled in some of the gaps in my ignorance. I realise I was premature in judging Obama. Have you noticed this issue has gone out of the news headlines? Wonder why.....
Thanks Amy.
Sometimes the media is better at highlighting problems than they are at reporting solutions, and I am sure events are moving in the right direction, even if slowly. When the Tsunami hit, the damage was restricted to a narrow strip of low-lying land - in most areas aid workers could drive twenty miles and go shopping for groceries. But every disaster has unique elements; even with the New Orleans flood there were massive problems. In this case the main donors are hampered by hundreds of miles of jungle, mountains, and oceans. Plus you cant just go in and do your thing: as those American Christians found when they tried to bring out those "orphans" without permission, documents or proper checks. Haiti is still an independent soveriegn country, and it has the right to have a say in what happens there and who comes in, even though government has been badly damaged. It is a bit like the Dharfur problem - geography, politics, and logistics are all working against the ability to deliver the right kind of aid to the places where it is most needed.