[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
GORDON BROWNS CLEANING BILL - Carers UK Forum

GORDON BROWNS CLEANING BILL

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
You just couldn`t make it up no matter how hard you tried, the Prime Minister GORDON BROWN used M.P`S expenses to clean his second home he claimed some £6-570 over a two year period thats about £800 per year more then the carers allowance as a carer we have to prove that we work for a minimum of 35 hours per week and as we all know many carers work 140 hours per week ( well we do need some sleep ) i would like to know who cleaned his home was it a little old lady who did not declare her earnings was it a self employed cleaner or a top rank cleaning company or did his brother clean up .regardless of who carried out the cleaning duties did he get value for money you may remember that GORDON BROWN introduced the minimum wage, in London it must be about say £7 per hour therefore over a two year period the cleaner would have been at the prime ministers second home no more then 9 hours per week.
Sorry GORDON but thats yer lot how can we as carers meet with you one day asking for an increase in the carers allowance and yet again be fobbed of and told to come back in 2018 yet you as prime minister earns £200-000 per year and you have the nerve to claim for the cleaning of your second home come on get real = look at what we as carers do not only do we look after an ill / disabled elderly / young relative we also clean up our own home .
Forget it George, they are so divorced from reality and lacking in empathy and compassion that even railing against them is a waste of precious energy. Their cure for the poverty people like us experience? Get off your idle backsides, turn off the wide-screen television and get a job then you can pay taxes to support our privileged lifestyles Image .
Forget it George, they are so divorced from reality and lacking in empathy and compassion that even railing against them is a waste of precious energy. Their cure for the poverty people like us experience? Get off your idle backsides, turn off the wide-screen television and get a job then you can pay taxes to support our privileged lifestyles Image .
I think that's just a little harsh, Annie! Let's say I offered you ...oh I don't know,..£900 a day plus expenses for a few days work a year as a non-executive company director or visiting lecturer. Would you turn it down? Would anyone? I suppose it might depend on what the company did - I don't suppose you would join the Board of an armaments company for example. But if it was something you supported? Some MPs are very hard working and dedicated, some contribute to charities and spend their legitimate expenses wisely, others do not. Some of them are carers too. Its not fair to tar them all with the same brush.

However, I agree that the gap between people at the top of the pile and those at the bottom appears to have grown even wider - causing major social stresses. Public health studies have shown that the effect of poverty on health and life expectancy is relative not absolute - the USA for example has 30 or 40 million people in dire poverty with no health insurance, in some cases selling their homes to pay for cancer or heart treatments. It has a poor health record compared with many, much poorer countries like Cuba.

There are six million carers and only 600 MPs - that is why we have a problem getting a decent raise.
It is not their salaries I object to, it is their expenses, most people who work have to either clean their own homes or pay for a cleaner out of their salaries, most people do not get £23,000 plus in addition to their salaries to run a work-related second home. Some of them are allegedly abusing the system, you try abusing the benefits system, the punishment is severe, where is the punishment for MPs?

I pay Income Tax, we also pay for my husband's physio because the local NHS does not provide it although it should; it looks as though we are going to have to pay for incontinence pads which do the job, they are no longer available through the NHS; we pay towards my husband's social care costs, I am currently subsidising social services because they have not sorted out their financial side, they already owe me money; I get up in the early hours to deal with the cleaning and washing because it takes me so long and by the time we have propped up the NHS and LA there is no money to pay for help. I do not get CA let alone a cleaning allowance and I am not alone, there are many, many carers in the same position and worse than me, are we worth less than a politician? They obviously think so, I disagree and I object to having to fund their unnecessarily extravagant lifestyles - do Brown, Purnell et al really need cleaners? - whilst having to pay twice for essential services, once through taxation and once out of our meagre income.
It's irrelevent whether anyone else would turn it down, the point is they are paid more than enough to fork out for their own cleaners.
I have complete contempt for the lot of em, on either side of the political divide.
We are caring for the most vulnerable in society on a pittance, we don't have the long holidays, the second homes, the hired help, the expense account.
We are now discussing how to compete with the Ghurka's the whole thing is a complete farce, carers and their caree's should have been sorted out years ago, we shouldn't need a celebrity to fight our corner.
I dont think it's acceptable that they have second homes in the first place, anyone who lives more than a couple of hours from London should be staying in a Hall's of residence.
Vicky
Oh, and please do not forget the official residences, Downing Street and Chequers and various other expensive-to-run second palatial homes for Ministers of State and the Speaker on top of their constituency homes and all funded entirely by the taxpayer. I think that the time has come for a large number of politicians to be removed from their comfortable, self-appointed pedestals and made to relearn what life is like in the real world, I rather suspect that I will be returning my ballot paper with a big red line through it along with a few choice words at the next general election.
I agree with Vicky about the second homes. When we recently stayed in the Hilton(saved for, over four years), I worked out the cost for staying there over 12 months, and it would be cheaper than their second home allowances, and that would be if they stayed there for 365 days a year. Cleaning already done,bathtowels clean everyday if they want them,swimming and gymnasium,evening meal and breakfast in front of them,only thing they wouldnt have would be Sky TV.Why can't the House of Commons get a deal such as this for a big hotel, or like Vicky says, halls of residence?

I have just seen Sky news, and it says that the police have been asekd to investigate the leak, as it could be a criminal offence!
Must be nice to make the laws but I rather think that the person who has leaked the details could use the defence that the leak was in the public interest. That is unless the Government has abolished this line of defence under one of the many Prevention of Terrorism Acts, always a portmanteau for various other convenient but irrelevant measures, although even this Government would be hard pressed to make a case for the information contained in the leak being a matter of national security.

...............AND I THOUGHT EXPENSES MEANT YOUR BUS FARE AND A BIG MAC...........................

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Andrew Marr show and Politics Show , both Sunday 10th May on BBC are supposed to be covering these issues.