[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Should I laugh or cry?? - Carers UK Forum

Should I laugh or cry??

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
As you know I'm a law student but also a full time carer for my fiance. because of some outdated rule I cant get Carers Allowance. Therefore our financial situation could be descrbied as precarious.

I go into my uni on friday to speak to some of lecturers to see how they could make the degree as managable as possible which went well. I then go to the Student Welfare office to talk about grants that I could get during my study. (when i contact ministers their usual tripe about why student carers dont get financial support is that grants are widely available.)

I speak to the lady on reception and she says that the money for grants has been CUT BY 25% and the maximum grant that was £1370 which i recieved (thats the ONLY non repayable financial support i've had in 12 months from the government) is alsop being cut as well.

So with costs rising the money available for the needy is being cut!!!!

do the government not want me to attain a law degree??
Hi Alex
The whole point is the government just don`t give a dam
the only thing they care about is how much
they can make out of things
the really needy don`t count because it does not line there pockets
Alex said
Should I laugh or cry??
Neither sonna.Knowing you as all of us here do, we know this is not the end of the battle for you and Sarah, but another obstacle on a very long road.
What direction are you going to take next Alex? Any plans on whom else to contact?

What you are facing now is going to affect so many of the young carers of today, so how about back tracking a little and enlisting the help of other young carers.I know you are an adult ( apart from the times you take the mick out of those of us who are older than you Image Image ) but PRTC have a young carers forum.In a few years some of them will be at the same stage that you are at now.You could maybe ask PRTC if they would post something on your behalf to see if some of those at college now know what they will be facing if they decide to go to Uni.

Also, another way of my thinking,which is odd at the best of times Image , was as well as members here supporting you, to also get the support from the younger ones and in turn maybe contact Ed Balls , Secretary of State for Children, Schools and Families.

The government are placing more emphasis on carers working but how are young carers going to get the education they want,the qualifications they want/need when so many obstacles put in their way.

The above idea just off the top of my head Alex and probably crap Image Image but maybe another avenue to try.

The whole point is the government just don`t give a dam
the only thing they care about is how much
they can make out of things
the really needy don`t count because it does not line there pockets

I couldn't agree more or said it any better, there should be more done in a fanacial way for all walks of life whatever it is, the Govenment SHOULD support our nation, but only really manage to support themselves. Image