[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Gordon Brown announces free personal care - Page 2 - Carers UK Forum

Gordon Brown announces free personal care

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
"free personal care in their own home".... so what happens if home is not suitable, will he offer free personal care in A home!
Won't affect Scotland, we already have it.
George, £23,000 of assets isn't wealthy - if you put that in the bank it would earn you less than £20 a week interest and inflation would still gobble your capital !!
When i retired from work 1997 i had £30-000 savings due to my work as a carer trying to survive on at the time £48 quid a week and no other benefit the lots gone i know what it`s like to give up every thing . and when you have lost the lot £23-000 is wealthy .
the cost for this CARE AT HOME has now been costed ED MILLIBAND said it would cost 700 million £`s he did not say if that was per day, per week, per month or per year the money will come from the N.H.S. 400 million and from local authorities 300 million what can you get from 700 million the mans a clown.

700 MILLION to fund the at home care for 350-000 elderly disabled when i cared for STAN who had alzheimers for the last 3 years of his life, now remember he said this care at home is to allow the elderly disabled to stay in their own homes for as long as posible. STAN req full time care he had no concept of time i was on the go 24/7 .
so just what kind of care will we get at home from this new scheme 350-000 patients at home some of them will need 2 care workers to lift them how many hours will they be able to care for some one will it be 24/7 if needed or will it be 2,4,6,810, hours maximum per day how many extra care workers will the new scheme need 350-000 patients an extra 100-000 care workers or will it be an extra 200-000 care workers even if on minimum wage the costs are dare i say it a wee bit higher than 700 million quid who ever costed all this is an idiot the whole scheme is probably going to help a small minority if an elderly disabled person has dementia / alzheimers and lives alone do you believe that they will be allowed to stay in their own home for treatment if the elderly disabled person has a carer do you think they will get round the clock care i doubt it they will be told the same thing that a staff nurse told me ARE YOU YOUR FATHERS CARER ? DO YOU GET THE CARERS ALLOWANCE ? THEN TAKE HIM HOME AND CARE FOR HIM ( i did get an apology from hospital) carers will not get the care that they need we will get no support at all we will be left high and dry expected to survive on the carers allowance .
who ever planned this scheme as far as i can see has no idea as to what we as carers need it looks as though it`s aimed at the middle class`s 2 partners a couple who dont have a family available to care but need help they have savings but dont want to spend them for whatever reason lets save for a rainy day .
my rainy day started in 1997 and i did spend my savings on that rainy day.

just a thought why cant he pay carers to care for their elderly disabled relatives to stay within their own home he could give us a carers allowanace of about £53 a week he could also help by allowing the elderly disabled penioner to receive some kind of attendance allowance of say £55 for light care needs up to say £70 for high end needs per week now if we had such a scheme that would be a vote winner

note to self get in touch with GORDON and inform him of my master plan
Social Care blog

Having said that several questions do arise when you start to unpick the policy:

It would come into force in October 2010 four months after the latest date for a general election so the likelihood of it happening may well depend on the Tories matching it.
Why does it not apply to people under 65, many of whom are charged for home care?
Why does it not apply to people in care homes?
Will the £200m the Department of Health is planning to find to fund the policy meet all costs or will local authorities have to pick up the difference? And if the latter, will they realistically be able to, with money for councils due to be cut from 2011 onwards?

2 interesting comments been added so far
Milliband has said the funding will come from N.H.S. budget 400 million and the local authority 300 million 700 million never will be enough also how will l.a. pay up will it depend on how many disabled people they have in their area or will all councils have to pay the same percentage .

i honestly cant see cameron matchimng this mad scheme he has said he wants carers and their caree`s to be given their own budget as they know what they need re support for their elderly disabled relatives .
he often talks about an end to bureaucracy this scheme will be a bureaucratic nightmare the new national care service will not be set up over night the administration of it will be very expensive they will employ many within the admin side then we will have the care workers and all the equipment that goes with the job vehicles to transport the care workers from home to home also.
will all the elderly ill disabled over 65 `s who ask for help be given it as a right or will we end up with many appealing the decission if the amount of care is not suitable i honestly cant see many people being happy with this scheme .
what kind of care work will they be allowed to do will it be just helping them to get dressed or into bed will they be able to cook meals/feeding, toilet duties, cleaning, shopping, washing clothes, medication , physio , dressing wounds take them to hospital/doctors, the list is endless and as carers we do all of this plus a lot more i still believe the state should work with carers we have a right to care for our elderly disabled relatives and we have accepted our responsabilities have we not and we should be the first line of care within the home .

all this care at home is for families who for whatever reason cant or dont want to care for their elderly ill / disabled parents but they also dont want to pay someone else to care for them
I agree the proposed timescale for implementation of such a major change is probably a nonsense - and an indication of panic in the government. Experience in Scotland was that free personal care took closer to 3 years to implement. Across England, with all those local authorities trying to block change that costs them a penny, and the highly complex policies and procedures involved, four to five years would be needed.

£24k isn't wealthy, it is just a nice little nest egg for a rainy day, and your experience George shows just how quickly it can be spent if your income is low.
Wont have a clue about this one....... but if A.A.and C.A are going towards this, and Councils hold the purse strings GOD HELP US ALL
Its Ok in theory, its a bit like the assessments for carers, thats OK in theory and looks good on paper its when theory becomes action there is a problem, just call me cynic
Isle of wight

For the past two years, Isle of Wight council has been delivering the prime minister's vision of a National Care Service – providing bathing, shopping, cooking, cleaning and even gardening free of charge for residents aged over 80 who are deemed to be in "critical or substantial need". Some 2,000 older people now benefit from Wightcare Services, run in partnership with the Isle of Wight primary care trust (PCT).
Isle of wight

For the past two years, Isle of Wight council has been delivering the prime minister's vision of a National Care Service – providing bathing, shopping, cooking, cleaning and even gardening free of charge for residents aged over 80 who are deemed to be in "critical or substantial need". Some 2,000 older people now benefit from Wightcare Services, run in partnership with the Isle of Wight primary care trust (PCT).
The catch is the "over 80" isnt it? generally speaking, life expectancy is related to social class and poverty. So by imposing any age barrier to a service, poor people, who are generally dying earlier, are in effect subsidising the more affluent who live longer.