[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Gordon Brown announces free personal care - Carers UK Forum

Gordon Brown announces free personal care

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
Gordon Brown announced at Labour Party Conference a few minutes ago that those with the highest needs would be offered free personal care.

Currently anyone with saving over £23,500 receives no state assistance.

The National Care Service will bring together the NHS and local authorities which currently provide social services, he said.

He went on to say, "So I can say today that for those with the highest needs we will now offer in their own homes free personal care."
We're welcoming the announcement as it will help 350,000 people and could mean families who are currently struggling to meet the costs of care could be hundreds of pounds better off.

Imelda Redmond, Chief Executive of Carers UK said of the announcement,

“I am delighted that Gordon Brown made care such a major part of his speech today. Many families face crippling costs to pay for care and this historic pledge to end the means test for those with the highest need could make a huge difference to their lives.

For a family looking after someone with dementia or MS who will no longer be charged for care, this will reduce the worry and stress of how they will make ends meet.

We need to scrutinise the detail to see just how big a difference it will make to carers, but it will help meet urgent needs while the longer term reform of social care is decided.

We hope that the Prime Minster’s announcement will now make social care a major election issue to reflect the scale of the care challenge posed by our ageing society.â€Â
Are we talking about charges soley for older people or for younger disabled people too?
Looking at what was said it says' 'disabled and okder people' fingers crossed
How can we welcome this free social care for some 350-000 elderly disabled when it may well be funded from the removal of the atendance allowance and with it the carers allowance. carers uk should have withheld their support for this scheme and have asked the question as to how such a scheme will be funded the cost of this free scheme is enormous and must be funded from somewhere and it looks more and more like the attendance allowance and possibly the carers allowance may be CUT it now puts carers uk in the strange position of supporting a policy that may have repercussions on those eldery disabled who receive the attendance allowance and their carers- if the government go on to say that the only way to fund this free social care for the whealthy with savings of over £23-000 will requier the removal of the attendance allowance from the elderly disabled pensioners will carers uk still welcome such a move ?

The only illness`s covered from the Prime Minister were in fact just alzheimers and dementia i can not find any referance to M.S. at all if he did why not all illness`s i find it strange that he will only give "free care" for alzheimers and dementia .

i hope the answer is no .

i strongly believe carers uk have put themselves into a possition that the government will use against those of us who want to retain the attendance alowance and the carers allowance .
as GORDON , ANDY & PHIL will no doubt say in the not to distant future we have the support of carers uk .
George you should know by now that Carers Uk "welcome" everything that the government suggests - they don't want to bite the hand that feeds them do they?

Eun
I notice it is only for those who need "critical " care. How many is that going to be aimed at?
George you should know by now that Carers Uk "welcome" everything that the government suggests - they don't want to bite the hand that feeds them do they?

Eun
Hi

I thought CUK worked as an independent body like many help lines and advice centre's that also receive government support.
Of course you are entitled to your opinion.

John
It's good that the announcement has been made in one sense, but I could stand to know a lot more about it.

For one thing, it's a breach of Parliamentary procedure and as a basic announcement there's little detail.

By all means welcome the broad brush but let's be sure it's right - the devil is usually in the detail.
We're welcoming the announcement as it will help 350,000 people and could mean families who are currently struggling to meet the costs of care could be hundreds of pounds better off.
700,000 people in the UK with dementia, of whom approximately 570,000 live in England.
Only 350,000 people?
Personal care costs-‘social’ tasks like housework and shopping does not count as personal care.
Severely disabled -To be funded by taking away Attendance Allowance and allocating it to local social services instead. That is the long term plan, as laid out in the Green Paper on the subject.

On first glance this appears to be for those who need ‘nursing’ care part of end -of -life "critical stages dyingâ€Â