[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
why did I work for nearly 45 years - Carers UK Forum

why did I work for nearly 45 years

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
A lot of people who do not want to work, now get nearly as much as my pension, but are to idle to do bugger all and now claim I.B.
I remember finishing my National Service and having to go to the department of employment
who told me I had a fortnight to find a job, or we WILL find one for you and you will report to
the firm and they will assess your suitability. Yes I know I'm talking about the 50's when work was plentiful....... but what happened to the D O E enforcement of this rule .......I SUPPOSE like most things its gone in the name of PROGRESS or liberalism.
I do not believe the figures which state that the majority of people on IB are capable of competing in the employment market, IB is hard to claim, the capability test is tough, and the level of fraud and error extremely low. In order to place more sick and disabled claimants in employment employers' attitudes would need to change and jobs and the benefits system be more flexible in order to reflect the fact that many IB claimants are only capable of limited work, I really cannot see this being a reality in my lifetime.
I left school 1967 have never been out of work apart from one week when in between jobs i gave up work in 1997 to care for STAN and the old doll when i was at work i had no problem in paying tax to support the elderly , disabled and those out of work we will always have scroungers but sad to say we have to live with them .
The coservatives have said some 2.5 million claim incapacity benefit and about 500-000 should or could be at work the problem we have is many who should not be working will be put under more presure to find work and just where are the jobs.
carers will again be classed as "out of work" but with a bit of luck we will be free from seeking work as long as we are registered as carers therefore i assume it must be those carers who are in receipt of the carers allowance .
as of yet ive heard nothing about benefits being removed from the elderly such as attendance allowance or from the younger disabled D.L.A.
We have about 1.5 million pensioners in receipt of attendance allowance and only 750-000 carers who receive the carers allowance if the attendance allowance was withdrawn why could they not use it to raise the carers allowance for those elderly who have a carer full time 24/7
me me me
Looks like your wish will come true, Cameron says workfare on it's way.
All to do with the shake up of the welfare system, everyone take cover it will be us next Image
Vicky
Where did you hear that Vicky? I mentioned it in the Carers News forum as a possible model yesterday but hoped that it would not be imported to the UK. In the US where Workfare has been around for some time claims are only allowed for two years maximum each period of unemployment and for five years in total, was there any mentions of this?
A lot of people who do not want to work, now get nearly as much as my pension, but are to idle to do bugger all and now claim I.B.
I remember finishing my National Service and <snip>.I SUPPOSE like most things its gone in the name of PROGRESS or liberalism.
Have you been reading the Daily Mail, or did you get out the wrong side of bed? I suggest that you google the descriptors for incapacity benefit, and the descriptors for ESA. Believe you me, neither are easy to get. These are among the most difficult benefits to get, particularly as you have to apply for them when you are sick, disabled or injured, and therefore not the most able to stand up for yourself.

IB is only payable to those who have been in full time work for at least 2 consecutive years immediately before the start of the claim. They have contributed NI, and they have to be able to prove that their significant level of incapacity has lasted longer than statutory sick pay covers, and will probably continue for a considerable time (at least 6 months, possibly longer, subject to re-examination by a DWP doctor).

If your heart has ever sunk at the sight of a form, try filling one in when you loved your job (or at least all that a decent wage + overtime made possible), you're in extreme unmanageable pain, and when you know that filling in the form is an admission that your body (or mind) is broken a good 40 years before the expected wear and tear of old age.

Try filling in that form when your doctor has refused point blank to write a letter to your boss saying that you're well enough to go back to work (because he/she believes that going back will cause your condition to worsen).

As Parsifal said, there are precious few employers willing to employ somebody whose sickenss or disablity requires flexibility. I bet you wouldn't employ my husband - he can just about give 5 minutes' notice of whether he'll be well enough to keep an appointment.

Oh, sorry I forgot, you will never have to do that now, because you're over retirement age - lucky lucky you!

Those who are old enough to get a state pension all get a winter fuel allowance, whether they have a health condition which neccessitates it or not (unlike younger extremely disabled and sick people, even if they are only one year under retirement age) - If you think IB is unfair, do you agree that the winter fuel allowance is also unfair?
Parsifal he was interviewed on BBC2 about an hour ago and was asked if we he would bring in US style workfare and he said he would with some changes, or words to that effect [sp]
Vicky
Jeez, it makes you glad to grow old Image . I spent the last few years of my working-age life just praying that I reached retirement age before I got sent on some hare-brained government scheme to get disabled people back into jobs that they have no hope of holding down, that is assuming that employers would even give us an interview in the first place. I suppose that it will be pensioners next however elderly, frail, sick or disabled they are, it was not so long ago that New Labour were talking about encouraging the poorest pensioners to continue working and the pension age is set to increase too, "work 'til you drop" seems to the political mantra along with "take up your bed and work" Image .

Incidentally I agree with Catja, claiming IB is no easy task and a depressing and anxiety-provoking process, depressing because you have to acknowledge that although you still has the skills to earn good money your illness or disability denies you the opportunity and anxiety-provoking because the number of claimants who are wrongly turned down are so high and you are facing the possibility of having to survive on reduced IS during the lengthy wait for a tribunal hearing compounded by the possibility of having your DLA removed on the basis of the frequently inaccurate IB medical report. And IB does not even begin to reflect either the contributions which claimants have made to the economy during their working lives nor the additional costs of sickness or disability. When we become pensioners we at least have the knowledge that our income is secure and not subject to the whim of government or the need to repeatedly justify it.
Have you been reading the Daily Mail, or did you get out the wrong side of bed? I suggest that you google the descriptors for incapacity benefit, and the descriptors for ESA. Believe you me, neither are easy to get. These are among the most difficult benefits to get, particularly as you have to apply for them when you are sick, disabled or injured, and therefore not the most able to stand up for yourself.

IB is only payable to those who have been in full time work for at least 2 consecutive years immediately before the start of the claim. They have contributed NI, and they have to be able to prove that their significant level of incapacity has lasted longer than statutory sick pay covers, and will probably continue for a considerable time (at least 6 months, possibly longer, subject to re-examination by a DWP doctor).

If your heart has ever sunk at the sight of a form, try filling one in when you loved your job (or at least all that a decent wage + overtime made possible), you're in extreme unmanageable pain, and when you know that filling in the form is an admission that your body (or mind) is broken a good 40 years before the expected wear and tear of old age.

Try filling in that form when your doctor has refused point blank to write a letter to your boss saying that you're well enough to go back to work (because he/she believes that going back will cause your condition to worsen).

As Parsifal said, there are precious few employers willing to employ somebody whose sickenss or disablity requires flexibility. I bet you wouldn't employ my husband - he can just about give 5 minutes' notice of whether he'll be well enough to keep an appointment.

Oh, sorry I forgot, you will never have to do that now, because you're over retirement age - lucky lucky you!

Those who are old enough to get a state pension all get a winter fuel allowance, whether they have a health condition which neccessitates it or not (unlike younger extremely disabled and sick people, even if they are only one year under retirement age) - If you think IB is unfair, do you agree that the winter fuel allowance is also unfair?
Hi

I was on IB after i took early retirement and was also caring for my wife.
I also had to have a check up by the doctor from DWP I had 3 checkups one only a short time before i had a life saving operation which they were informed that i was having with in a short time.
But they said i still needed to go i have put this story of what happened on here before about that particular doctor.

There are people drawing IB that shouldn't but more people that should be getting.

Also the person that started this post as the right to say what he as said he like myself was working in the 1950's when there was very few benefits and we had to work to get money so he See's it from a personal view he didnt have to read the Daily mail he lived it.

As for being a pensioner and being lucky i don't agree with that if the winter payment is unfair do you think that i and many others over the retirement age do not get CA I Still have to care for my wife with all my ill health and don't get any rest bite at all my wife is permanently in a wheelchair and never moans or Say's why me and that's after 2 amputations losing 2 children been in a coma and numerous other medical conditions and only last year had an heart attack.

Lucky i don't think so.

My wife once said to me if it wasn't for the bad lucky we wouldn't have any luck at all so being a pensioner is not all fun and our bad luck started soon after we got married in our teens so we have experienced ill heath a long time plus i worked from the age of 15 till i took early retirement a few years ago brought 4 children and lost 2.
life is never easy so being retired is not lucky we have done our bit and still doing it.

John
In the US where Workfare has been around for some time
We have discussed on other threads how CA could be looked on as 'Workfare'