[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Go with George. - Page 3 - Carers UK Forum

Go with George.

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
IN THE END,YES EVERYONE WORRIES ABOUT MONEY.bUT,MY POINT IS,IN DOING SO,AND GOD KNOWS IM THE BIGGEST WORRYER OVER MONEY MYSELF,IN WORRYING,AS WE DO,WE CAN GET SO STRESSED,ABSORBED ETC IN IT,WE LOOSE SIGHT OF OTHER STUFF.IF YOU CANT WORK,FOR JUST SOME PEOPLE,BEING A VOLUNTEER IS GOOD.YOU GET AWAY,FOR A TIME,FROM IT,THE WORRY,YOU MEET PEOPLE,DO SOME GOOD TOO.YES MONEY IS A MAJOR WORRY.I KNOW IT.TOO WELL.BUT THERE ARE OTHER THINGS IN LIFE TOO.OTHER VALUES.IF ITS JUST MONEY OR NOT HAVING MONEY THAT IS THE THINKING FOR US EACH AND EVERY DAY,FRANKLY,WHATS THE POINT?.THERE IS SO MUCH MORE TO DO.
I do not think the people who talk about living in grinding poverty can know the meaning of the phrase, in this country we do not have grinding poverty, we have relative poverty, if you want to see grinding poverty visit the third world. Of course carers deserve better financial recompense for the work they do but to suggest that any of us are living in grinding poverty is an overstatement and I agree with Myrtle, life can be enriching at little or no cost, it just requires a change of mindset.
I know to be fact that the NHS reduces or adjusts its budget taking into account Charities funding. If a charity provides a service the NHS drops that service, despite 1948 NHS law.

====

OP asked what changes I'd make .....I'd stop Child Benefit. Parents CHOOSE to have a child = yes they do, the Pill has been around for decades, control & decency for centuries = and they should pay for their children. I claimed CB for years & years but could never ever justify it. Good parents don't - really don't - need it; bad parents need it but waste it.

====

Another change I'd make is I would look v. carefully at Housing Assoc properties. I know a woman (3 bed house, housing allowance) and her son (2 bed house, housing allowance). Both claim they need the extra bedrooms for the one child/grandchild who stays occasionaly. IMO they both only NEED one bedroom - child could stay for her occasional visit on sofa-bed, yet they have FIVE bedrooms for two people, all paid for by the State.

====

Job Seekers Allowance should be INCREASED along with INCREASED funding for vocational training. There is a shortage of skilled workers, i.e. plumbers etc. Government should pay to train for work that is needed. Millions are spent on "basic skills", but very little or nothing is spent on the intelligent guy/girl who went a bit off the rails when in school.

(incidentally, anyone who has struggled to save, perhaps managed to buy their own home is not entitled to anything whatsoever, they're told to spend/sell it. This is complete waste of goverment money.....they sell, they waste, then they claim.)

====
I think child benefit should be means tested and possibly restricted to first or possibly second child only.
Tax credits only for those who need them which looks likely anyway.
It will be interesting to see who is going to suffer most but forcing people to work for JSA or any other benefit is plain wrong as the rules state they should be actively seeking work if there is a job to be done it should be paid at minimum wage.
I'm fed up hearing about benefits when there is very little if anything being said about all the tax dodgers at the top.
If people want to volunteer and have the time then that's fine but I cetainly wouldn't want anyone working with my children who have been forced to in order to receive JSA.
Vicky
I AGREE,child BENIFIT SHOULD BE TARGETTED AT THOSE WHO NEED IT MOST.I feel that this applys to most benifits (Gosh,Im brave today)