[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Forgotten Army - Carers UK Forum

Forgotten Army

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
I just had to post this extract from Hugh Marriott's book:

“Carers have been described as a forgotten army. (But only by other carers, or people who work with carers or look after carers when we run into trouble.) And it’s true. We are forgotten.
Actually, no it’s not. We were never noticed in the first place. We’re not forgotten. We’re invisible.â€Â
I would be quite happy nowadays to cross out "other" and put "unpaid Carer".

Especially after being told that a form won't take long, and you are still there an hour later!
I always put 'Carer'in the box marked other and if the person asks anything about salary etc. I state that's a Care Worker not a Carer.
They usually don't like to admit they don't know the difference so they leave it there. Image

marie x
When Gill went for an ENT appointment some years ago, the consultant asked for her occupation and she answered "I'm a carer." He hadn't a clue and put her down as an NHS worker. By the way, she got really good service after that...
Tell you this, if your filling out a car insurance form, or getting a quote over the phone, DON'T say your a carer because they will think your a NHS/ Private carer which obviously needs transprt for work and will up your premium massively. Say you are a Housewife/Househusband that way you wont get screwed.
Jim