[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
For anyone worried by changes to benefits - Page 3 - Carers UK Forum

For anyone worried by changes to benefits

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
It would be tragic if the housing benefit and council tax awards were lumped in with other monies due for the claimant to pay their rent and council tax as when this happened in the 1970`s the rent and rates arrears were massive. Far better the system now where we pay our share of rent and council tax and the benefits agency pays the LA or HA directly.

By the time they meddle with old CA claimants I will be retired and not entitled to it anyway, or there could be rebellion and a new government elected.

Take care
Meg
apart from the carers allowance i get no other benefit help at all..

the old doll gets housing benefit, and council tax relief , from what i understand she will continue to receive the housing benefit into her bank , but it will be part of her "UNIVERSAL PENSION"- she does not pay her half of the council tax , but i have been told in the future she will receive the cash paid into her bank account again as part of her "UNIVERSAL PENSION" and she then pays the council her tax...

why cant they pay her housing benefit direct to the landlord , and leave the council tax as is ,,, they are just shifting the money round and round ,, and how many may not pay the council tax or rent ???????
All this is just beyond me .....sigh
surely it costs more to do all these changes? wouldnt they be better off leaving it how it is save a few quid on changing everything.

to me it just looks like we are going to loose c.a, and end up bloody skint with all the changes coz u know they will mess it up.

i think its all aload of twaddle and an excuse to say- u dont work, oh u care for some one?? tough u need to leave them and go to work, then return home to work your self silly caring
[quote]Carers haven't really been screwed, Kenneth. We just never tried hard enough to negotiate from a position of strength. If a few more tens of thousands joined the only democratic carers organisation, Carers UK and took an active part]

But carers have to recognise that they are carers and to find out about CUK (and the other carers organisations, some of which are democratic but not national). And then they have to be motivated to join - not everyone does, and not everyone on these boards is a CUK member. There's a few more we could recruit!

As it is, the relative invisibility of carers and the burgeoning internet can lead to antidemocratic individuals setting up their own organisations in their own image and diluting the carers movement. Sadly they peddle their views far and wide, making carers look like crackpots, which doesn't help carers at all.

We have to get the word out and make sure that the reputable voice of carers is heard.
As it is, the relative invisibility of carers and the burgeoning internet can lead to antidemocratic individuals setting up their own organisations in their own image and diluting the carers movement. Sadly they peddle their views far and wide, making carers look like crackpots, which doesn't help carers at all.

We have to get the word out and make sure that the reputable voice of carers is heard.
It isnt just the internet, you know, antidemocratic practises go on in lots of local existing groups run by carers too that have never seen a computer. Like one local carers group I know that insists on always holding their meetings during the day. thereby indirectly discriminating against male carers (who are statistically more likely to be in employment). How many male carer/members do they have? None....
Fair comment, but there's a tendency among some people to think in terms of only women being carers. No excuse for a carers' centre, they should know better, but some groups and individuals certainly do think that way - I've sometimes caused raised eyebrows by proclaiming my carer status when giving talks.

It's why we try to offer events at different times and days: I'm planning some weekend and evening sessions for next year - did an evening session last week, actually. Not one working carer, not one male carer attended. Sometimes you can't win! Image
[It's why we try to offer events at different times and days]quote, Charles.
Realistically, how many Carers can get out in the evenings?
In Pembrokshire,when I have been to Carers meetings, we have plenty of men attend,and when I did the expert patients programme for Carers,there were 12 of us attended,four of whom were men.I know some of the attendees were working Carers too,but don't know how many.(none of the men were working outside of their caring role.)
i have been a carer for 7 years i have not worked i have no time for work as i care 24 /7

Re:

Realistically, how many Carers can get out in the evenings?
Understood, Lazydaisy - but several had booked places: they just didn't turn up or let us know they couldn't make it. I do understand the difficulties - sometimes you just can't come and that's that. But then we get criticised for not doing anything for working carers...which gets a bit frustrating.