[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Food For Thought. - Carers UK Forum

Food For Thought.

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
"I get by,but its not as I might wish it to be by any means".The words of my pal Sarah.My dog and I were breakneck power walking at 10:30pm tonight,nice clear night for it too,when we met Sarah,out for her takeaway.
Sarah cares for her Son.He is autistic.Its only late at night Sarah manages a bit of "Me-Time".and,gets a bite to eat.Thing-is,by then,she is just so tired she opts for a takeaway.

Anyways,as we walked,Sarah made that coment in reference to her own eating regime.

"Many carers just dont eat right" she observed.

So,Over-to-you.Is this so?.
Absolutely.

My eating habits changed for the worse while caring for Mike and it was only becoming diabetic that forced a change on me. I have to be much more aware of when and what I eat now, and think of myself.
Me too, I just forget to eat, on two occasions last year I did an Internet grocery shop and did not realise until it was delivered that I had bought food for meals for my husband who eats different food to me but had not bought anything for meals for myself, not that I was particularly bothered, I am happy to live on cheese and odds and ends, I have become a nibbler rather than an eater. You just seem to get out of the habit of eating three meals a day just as you lose the habit of sleeping at routine times.
So true Maxi - since becoming a full time carer I've put on nearly 3st. Mainly because comfort eating has now become a way of coping, but the lack of exercise isn't helping either Image
I put on 7 stone,mainly since my husband's sight went. Not always down to the food I eat, but just because I don't get exercise any more. I can't count dogwalking. The dog runs,Jane doesn't!
I lost four and a half stone a few years ago,through Slimming World, and it was not a huge change in diet, it was because I was making the effort to walk much more.I used to swim daily before my husband's sight went, but he was able to sort the children out and take them to school then,while I had my swim.Now, I would have to drive 10 miles to go for an early swim,and cannot afford to spend that amount of money, petrol, toll bridge and then a swim too.
Eating tends to be hit and miss.I have to have healthy meals due to the diabetes of my husband and son, but sometimes when I cook it, I don't want to eat it. What I would really love, would be for someone else to come in and cook for me,and put a plate of nice healthy food in front of me.

Just realised that what I have written about putting on weight because of my husband's sight loss sounds a bit odd. It is because he cannot walk far,and when his sight was okay, he would drive and I would walk, meet him along the road somewhere. We would arrange where to meet up. I was much fitter,plus it gave me a bit of solitude, which I have always appreciated.
i have doubled my weight to over 20 stone in the 30 years i have been caring for my wife.i now have diabetes, high blood pressure and severe depression,it has got nothing to do with over eating but lack of exercise there are often whole weeks or longer when we can't even get out of the front door she is so unwell,i know i should be looking after my self better but like many others in my situation the deppression, the isolation and the constant tiredness just become so overwhelming that nothing else matters,sorry for not posting for such a long time but i really haven't felt up to it
i have doubled my weight to over 20 stone in the 30 years i have been caring for my wife.i now have diabetes, high blood pressure and severe depression,it has got nothing to do with over eating but lack of exercise there are often whole weeks or longer when we can't even get out of the front door she is so unwell,i know i should be looking after my self better but like many others in my situation the deppression, the isolation and the constant tiredness just become so overwhelming that nothing else matters,sorry for not posting for such a long time but i really haven't felt up to it
Know how you feel mungo,
I know I should go for a walk but cannot find the energy or motivation.
Then you think 'why should I bother' , nobody calls or phones so who cares what I look like.
xxx
Although I'll admit to not being Mrs. Health Concious before, I will admit that the amount of food I eat has gradually decreased over the years until I'm now down to one meal a day and the odd snack here and there, if I'm lucky.

One thing that strikes me as strange though is that, despite reducing my food intake, it never seems to have any effect on my weight
What I would really love, would be for someone else to come in and cook for me,and put a plate of nice healthy food in front of me.
One of the kindest things my friend often did for me when OH was alive was to make me sit down for 10mins and put a plate of hot freshly buttered toast and a mug of tea in front of me. Usually I'd forgotten/been too tired/too busy to make myself anything to eat or drink and those few minutes of being looked after helped me feel human instead of a robot on a treadmill Image Tea and toast taste like nectar when someone else makes it for you Image
Diabetic here too. I eat crap - just for some kind of comfort - but 2011 is going to be my year, I need to value myself a bit more!