[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
disabled parking bays in supermarkets-fit for use? - Carers UK Forum

disabled parking bays in supermarkets-fit for use?

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
My 7 month pregnant daughter, took my husband down to Tesco this afternoon. My husband has a blue badge, and so they parked in a disabled parking bay. My daughter got out of the car, stood on the space between cars, and went flying.Fortunately she fell on her hip. A member of the public came to help her up, and someone else went into Tesco to summon help. A few minutes later, they had to be reminded to come out and assess the situation. My daughter and husband then went to the GP surgery which was nearer than home, where she was told to go to A and E. They came home to get me, but I called the antenatal ward first, to ask advice.A community midwife has now come out to see her and let her hear the baby's heart beating. It is still not moving much though, so we are still very anxious, but keeping a count on the movements.
These bays are meant for people who are less able on their feet or wheelchair users, and more likely to fall. Katie is young and fit, if she can fall, what hope does someone with cerebral palsy, or an amputee have?
I would appreciate some advice about where to take this to ensure that something is done about the surface, as it obviously needs addressing,and Tesco were not very concerned.
Thank you.
That's shocking.
I should think the quickest way to get the car park checked and the surface repaired where needed would be to go back to the store with a reporter and photographer from your local paper and ask the manager the details of Tescos legal department - that should help him focus on his priorities.
I hope your daughter and future grandchild are both ok and remain so, fingers crossed and sending a (((((hug))))) for you all.
LazyD, I hope everything is well with Katie and the baby.

Karen x x
Karen - how awful, hope everyone is OK.

How about contacting the Highways Department at the local council ? I know Tesco's car park would be considered private land, but perhaps they could bring some pressure to bear. Or maybe your local counciller or MP could get involved - with elections coming up they're usually looking for good causes to espouse !

NellieJo's suggestion is a good one - nothing like adverse publicity to get the wheels moving !
thanks for the suggestions. I have emailed Tesco,(main office, not local),and will phone the local Access officer for disabled people tomorrow.If no luck with the access officer, then it will be the local paper tomorrow afternoon.
I was very scared this afternoon. Katie was at white as a sheet, she was so frightened. The baby is back to normal now, though, and kicking away again.He must have been a bit winded. I am sure I did not worry this much when I was expecting my own!

How about contacting the Highways Department at the local council ? I know Tesco's car park would be considered private land, but perhaps they could bring some pressure to bear. Or maybe your local counciller or MP could get involved - with elections coming up they're usually looking for good causes to espouse !

NellieJo's suggestion is a good one - nothing like adverse publicity to get the wheels moving !
Susie, it's LazyD's post not mine. x x
Hope mother and baby are OK. It must have been quite a scare for all of you.

What are you saying was wrong with the surface?
It was slippery as it was wet. The rest of the car park isn't.The walking area between the disabled parking bays seem to have a different surface, than the rest of the car park.

Susie, it's LazyD's post not mine. x x
oops sorry, obviously a Senior Moment - I told you this dementia was catching Image Image Image Image Image
Have had a look at the parking bays today. They have a slippery black surface(even when it is sunny as today), with the white stripes along them.