[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Petrol/Mileage Allowance for Domiciliary Carers - Carers UK Forum

Petrol/Mileage Allowance for Domiciliary Carers

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
Hi all,

Out of interest how much would you say is a fair amount to pay for mileage/petrol allowance per carer?

The reason why I ask is because I've noticed that some domiciliary care agencies do not charge mileage/petrol and some do. I thought we were paying a reasonable amount to our care agency (capped at £4.50 per carer per visit....mum has double ups) until one of the carers complained that it barely covered her petrol (12 mile round trip). Although I'm sure the carer does not receive this amount we pay the care agency £0.37p/mile per carer per vist which I think is quite reasonable.

HAPPY EASTER

Rachel
Hi Rachel,

One of our local agencies claims 40p per mile.

This might interest you too...

Under HM Revenue and Customs regulations, employers can claim tax relief on fuel allowances to staff of up to 40p a mile for the first 10,000 miles and 25p a mile thereafter.

The rate, which has remained the same since 2002, can only be changed by parliament.
The old doll is allowed 44p per mile from the war widows association - and iam off to london soon free.....
I only get paid 30p a mile, which I think is a bit cheapskate, with petrol around here at £1.19p - and my old Zafira has 130,000 miles on the clock and guzzles the gas a bit compared with newer, smaller cars. I bought it when we had seven people in the household and needed all those seats, now we are down to 3 or 4 and it is a bit on the wasteful side really. But you get used to the extra capacity, I'm always helping folk out moving large things around like the big Taiko drums for the carnival band we set up, fridge-freezers, moving kids to college, that sort of thing.
Being employed privately by a family I cant claim daily petrol costs Image .However, on days if it is hospital appts, or we go further afield,the family always contribute to cover costs.
We paid 30p per mile to the PA out of my husband's IB DPs for a small engine car.
Thanks for the info Rosemary...I didn't know that.

Thanks to everyone else who answered...I think perhaps I should rethink the mileage allowance as I don't want the carers to be out of pocket.

Rachel
If you're paying an employee's travel expenses there are a number of rules about it in terms of tax.

My understanding is that 40p a mile is the maximum the tax man will agree to without taxing for it, for the first 10,000 miles of work-related travel (not including travel to your normal place of work - you get nothing for that), after which it drops to 25p a mile.
As we employ our PAs on a self-employed basis, we don't pay any travel expenses or holidays or sickness pay. We pay their wages and for public liability insurance and that's it really. All done through DPs.