[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Finding a good home? - Page 2 - Carers UK Forum

Finding a good home?

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
bowlingbun wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 7:40 am
George, where was mum living until recently?

I'm near Southampton, so know nothing about the differences when living in Scotland, but here if you have dementia, it counts as "severe mental impairment" and therefore mum would be exempt from Council Tax since the diagnosis of dementia. It's one of the very rare occasions where refunds can be backdated. Martin Lewis has reported one refund of over £8,000!

If mum is self funding, then she would still be entitled to Attendance Allowance (assuming she is over 65) and also something called FNC - Funded Nursing Care. Again, I don't know if Scotland has something similar, but it's worth asking the local Parkinson's advisors about,
She was living at her home in Edinburgh, where she is now actually as I got her back home for christmas while we search for somewhere new as was worried how latest covid could unfold. Thank for the heads up about the council tax 👍

Can I ask, in England with Continuing Healthcare, if the NHS in some cases pay for the full care, does the resident need to settle for a home of the NHS'/Council's choosing, somewhere that costs much less?
When looking at homes in England, you need to ask "Do you accept residents funded by NHS Continuing Healthcare"?
OR
Do you accept residents who are funded by the local council? (in my case, that's Hampshire)

Most homes charge one rate to self funded patients, and a much lower rate for CHC or LA residents. This is VERY unfair, it means that self funded patients (as my mum was) are subsidising the others!! The only difference in care being self funders got new towels every day, the others don't (According to a notice in the Nurses Station at mum's home!)

If you are funded by the council, then you can ask for an upgrade, which can be funded by a relative.
I'm not sure about CHC - for chapter and verse on this subject ask Google to find the "CHC Framework". It's about 200 pages if I remember rightly, but you don't need to read it all, as I did!

Hope that helps, feel free to ask if you need to know anything more I can help with.
bowlingbun wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 3:18 pm
When looking at homes in England, you need to ask "Do you accept residents funded by NHS Continuing Healthcare"?
OR
Do you accept residents who are funded by the local council? (in my case, that's Hampshire)

Most homes charge one rate to self funded patients, and a much lower rate for CHC or LA residents. This is VERY unfair, it means that self funded patients (as my mum was) are subsidising the others!! The only difference in care being self funders got new towels every day, the others don't (According to a notice in the Nurses Station at mum's home!)

If you are funded by the council, then you can ask for an upgrade, which can be funded by a relative.
I'm not sure about CHC - for chapter and verse on this subject ask Google to find the "CHC Framework". It's about 200 pages if I remember rightly, but you don't need to read it all, as I did!

Hope that helps, feel free to ask if you need to know anything more I can help with.
Aha, that's a bit of an eye opener. That kind of unlocks a lot I didn't understand. I didn't know why some homes accept only self funded and why some accept both, now I know! Very helpful, will be useful information going forward. Thankyou