Financially supporting your parents?

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
Carers UK have been contacted by a BBC TV show who are doing a piece on people who are having to financially support their parents. They’re particularly interested in those who have been driven to extremes, like having to sell their homes to pay for a parent’s living costs, essential care in the home or nursing home costs. But they’re interested in any examples of this, not just the extreme ones.

If there’s any chance you’d be willing to talk about your experiences (in front of the camera!) then we’d be really grateful if you could get in touch. If at all possible they’d love to get a comment from your parent as well, but are aware this is unlikely – so don’t worry if this wouldn’t be possible.

Please send me a quick email at steve.mcintosh@carersuk.org if you think you might be interested and I’ll be in touch with a few more details.

Many thanks,

Steve
ITS THE OTHER WAY ROUND FOR ME, THE OLD DOLL AND STAN BEFORE HER PAID FOR ME THEY BOTH HAD LARGE WAR RELATED PENSIONS I ONLY HAVE SMALL OCCUPATIONAL PENSION WHICH AS YOU ALL KNOW STOPS ME FROM RECVEIVING ANY OTHER BENEFITS APART FROM THE CARERS ALLOWANCE, THEY WOULD RATHER PAY ME THEM SOME STRANGER FROM THE LOCAL AUTHORITY AND THEY KNOW MY CARE WORK IS FIRST CLASS .
WE WERE FRCED OUT OF OUR HOME BY SOCIAL SERVICES UNDER THE THREAT THAT IF WE DID NOT HAVE SAFE SECURE HOME FOR STAN TO LIVE IN THEY WOULD HAVE NO OPTION BUT TO PLACE HIM IN CARE HOME, WE COULD NOT SELL OUR HOME AT ALL IN THE END WE SOLD TO YOUNG STAN AT VERY LITTLE PROFIT JUST TO GET INTO GROUND FLOOR FLAT.
AT A LATER DATE THE SOCIAL SERVICES SAID WE SHOULD HAVE SOLD THE HOUSE FOR MORE JUST COS THEY WANTED STAN TO PAY FOR ALL HIS CARE IF HE ENDED UP IN HOME, EVEN TODAY THE OLD DOLL IS PAYING FOR ME INDIRECTLY TO CARE FOR HER WHEN SHE POPS HER CLOGS LOOKS LIKE LLOYDS BANK WILL HAVE TO TELL GORDON THE`VE GOT SOME TOXIC DEBTS TO CLEAR TEE HEE IF THE CARERS ALLOWANCE WAS RAISED TO THE £100 PER WEEK I FOR ONE WOULD HAVE NO PROBLEMS AT ALL .
IMHO it's not just a big increase in CA that's needed, but local government to be properly funded so that SS don't need to charge extortionate rates (for staff they employ directly, not agency staff).

£17 an hour - who the heck could afford as much care as they need as that price? Even if working, even if rich. Other London boroughs aren't much cheaper, so this isn't a case of one bad borough either. Disabled people, frail elderly people, and carers are being priced out of having a life. Image